Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RC help!

melloishmelloish Free Trial Member
in General 59 karma
I need help with my RC section. I keep doing terrible (10-12 wrong per prep test). Every other section is below 6 wrong which is where I want to be. Any advice?!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @melloish ,

Are you using the 7Sage memory method?

https://7sage.com/lsat-reading-comprehension-the-memory-method/

Watch that, then watch this RC Webinar Sage @NicoleHopkins gave... It helped me immensely when I too was missing between 9-10 per section.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    this RC Webinar
    Good call, Alex. Nicole says RC is her strongest so def give the video a go :)
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    More importantly, find a method that works for you. Like in LG, you rely on tried and tested diagramming techniques, even to get you through the funky ones, you need a method that you can rely on for RC in terms of reading the passage and answering questions.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @melloish said:
    Any advice?!
    RC Arguments are cookie cutters! Learn the argument patterns that recur. Forget subject matter. It's all about argument.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @"Nicole Hopkins" That's interesting. I haven't watched your RC video in quite some time but did you discuss the argument patterns? I'd like to hear more on this so I'll watch again, if so.
  • kmarie7kmarie7 Alum Member
    208 karma
    I started off even worse than you. I was getting -17. I was using the underlining method, and realized that was taking too much time and I was just underlining 75% of the passage. I then stopped, and just read. I do the memory method where I make sure I understand what I just read in each paragraph. I rarely mark on my passages. I have seen great improvement, currently at -8 and slowly improving. I agree with other posters, you have to find what works for you.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @kmarie7 said:
    I agree with other posters, you have to find what works for you.
    That is the secret with everything LSAT prep :)
  • Kristen BKristen B Member
    388 karma
    Honestly, I believe the LSAT trainer helped me the most with RC. After reading the book, I started to understand the importance of reading for structure, and not getting all bogged down in the content. Now whenever I read a RC passage I keep in the back of my head "why did the author right this," It really helps guide me through the passage.
    2573 karma
    Has anyone noticed the argument patterns Nicole mentioned? I think The LSAT Trainer helped me the most. My best on RC is -4 but that can be sporadic. I agree that reading structure is crucial on RC but I'd like to look more into these patterns. The questions are pretty much the same for each passage but I don't think I've seen argument patterns. Would that be easier to notice with Manhattan's approach of labeling say the speaker's opinion or opposing views throughout the passage? Anybody?
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    @tanes256 said:
    Would that be easier to notice with Manhattan's approach of labeling say the speaker's opinion or opposing views throughout the passage?
    I definitely think an effective annotation strategy is important, and keeping up with different viewpoints and shifts in tone is definitely something I try to annotate for. Just don't underline something just because it seems substantial, this is the biggest annotation mistake I see. If it's substantial, it's easy to think, "Oh, this is important. Underline." This just isn't what annotation is for though. RC passages are dense and there is going to be a whole lot of substance. The substance is what you remember. Don't annotate it. You annotate the things that put that substance into its context: Critics claim that; new research suggests; Dr. Yamata's findings, while promising; etc. These are the things that build the framework for the real content, and these are the things that I've found most helpful to annotate for.

As for structure types, I guess it could be beneficial to learn a list of common structures; but I think it'd be more intuitive to just learn how to read for it on the fly. That way you don't lose a specific essay's nuances by looking to pigeon hole it into a familiar category.
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    Check out the earliest prep tests. Their reading comprehension sections are vastly easier but they let you get used to the process
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2016 23929 karma
    @combsni said:
    Check out the earliest prep tests. Their reading comprehension sections are vastly easier but they let you get used to the process

I think I will try this out! I haven't gotten to the RC part of my prep just yet, but this is something I have heard before; that early PTs have generally more easy RC....

2573 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" I've got to give the memory method more effort. I kinda tried in the beginning and it just wasn't working for me. I like Nicole's approach, I had better success with it, but I do see your point about the underlining stuff. When I hit the questions I don't really pay attention to what's not underlined. Depending on the questions that could help or hurt.