Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Take in September or Wait till December?

az.avdagicaz.avdagic Free Trial Member
in General 13 karma
Hi everyone, I have been going back and forth on whether or not to sit for the September LSAT or to wait until December. I was wondering if anyone had any good insight or advice - my diagnostic was a 147, took another PT and got a 147 again. When I look over the sections and see what I'm missing, it is mostly in the LG section, where I only got 7 total points on both PTs. I actually don't finish my LG sections completely either... but the first 20 or so questions I do get to, I miss about 4 or 5. My RC could be better also. I'm worried that doing so poorly indicates that I should not be going into law in general, but I also think attaining a goal score in the 160's is generally possible, any advice? Thanks ahead of time!

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @az.avdagic said:
    any advice
    Postpone until you find that your last 5 PTs are in your target range...a general rule of thumb is that your last 5 PTs are a strong indicator of what you'll score on game day minus a few points. Truthfully, if you still need to increase by roughly 10pts or more, not only should you postpone Sept. date, but maybe December will be too early as well. Is sitting out a cycle an option for you? and by an option I mean is there anything besides wanting to attend law school asap preventing you from sitting out on one cycle?
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    Improvement at that length is very feasible. It isn't easy, of course, but consistent and effective studying will demonstrate that the LAAT is learnable.

If you truly want a 160+, I would recommend holding off for at least December.

Your diagnostic speaks absolutely nothing of you aside from the fact that you aren't familiar with the material. I had a diagnostic three points higher than yours (and perhaps only because I bubbled in a lot of answers for questions I never even had time to get to). It wasn't long before I was at where you want to be. It's honestly shocking the progress that can be made on the LSAT, but it isn't so surprising when you realize it's like being tested on a new language.
  • az.avdagicaz.avdagic Free Trial Member
    13 karma
    @montaha.rizeq
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Is sitting out a cycle an option for you? and by an option I mean is there anything besides wanting to attend law school asap preventing you from sitting out on one cycle?
    Thanks for your reply! Yes I am considering the next cycle as well, I am about to graduate with an accounting degree and am considering working at a firm for a year in the meantime. So I am not necessarily prevented from sitting out a cycle. It is just interesting weighing all the options and making a decision given everything that the LSAT entails.
    11542 karma
    @az.avdagic said:
    I am about to graduate with an accounting degree and am considering working at a firm for a year in the meantime.
    Congrats and this seems like a good path to pursue! get them resume creds lol. Although you may not need to sit out on a cycle, don't completely rule it out just yet. Also, do not let the LSAT determine whether or not law school is for you. What you're scoring now doesn't reflect who you are nor does it translate your desire to be a lawyer. If it did, I would have given up on law school two years ago lol. The LSAT is a strenuous test that will challenge every brain cell out of you, it will make you sad, make you happy, make you pissed, but you need to figure out how to keep a good attitude throughout it and to not lose momentum - this will do wonders to your score I'm sure :)
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq and @danielznelson nailed it!

@az.avdagic I'd say replace the date in your mind with a score (160?) and just work towards the score not the date. It is only a matter of time before you are scoring in the 160s without a problem. It may take a while though, and that is OK. You want to be walking into the LSAT test confident you are going to kill it! I made the exact same choice to postpone, finish school, and work for a year. This gives me work experience, [more] time to prep, and it lets me study without being stressed that an arbitrary date is approaching.

If you are only missing 4-5 on LR and RC, I would just focus on LG for a while. Perhaps do a month long intensive on just LG. Go through the lessons on logic games and use the fool proof method. It isn't a silver bullet, but it is as close as you can get! I was missing 20 LG questions/section in June and through 7Sage/fool proofing I am down to about -4 or -5 misses per LG section and I haven't even finished the LG lessons yet... It really works!

To get a score in the 160s you can miss about ~24 questions. If you got your LG down to a consistent -4 or -5 you could easily score a 160 if you get your LR and RC consistently down to -4 or -5 misses per section. So start with that as a goal and before you know it you'll be in the 160s and trying to break into the 170s :)
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    how long have you been studying?
    13 karma
    @Alejandro I first picked up studying in May actually, have been pretty on and off about it, that's why I'm not sure if this is a "it takes more time" kind of thing or a "you're just not meant for law school" kind of thing, but I am willing to just keep plugging through the material until a 160 or so comes to light
    11542 karma
    @az.avdagic said:
    I first picked up studying in May actually,
    Yeah this was going to be my next question. Studying for 3 months usually doesn't do much for many people, unless your diagnostic was a 160 or something. What material are you using?
    13 karma
    @"Alex Divine" Thank you very much! I think that is great advice. I am thinking that a focus on LG for awhile might be a good route to pursue. Having LG down would make the test much more manageable and I frequently read that LG is where a lot of LSAT takers improve. And that you made the choice to finish school first is very encouraging to hear. Best of luck to you!
    11542 karma
    @az.avdagic said:
    I frequently read that LG is where a lot of LSAT takers improve
    Correct...in fact it's the easiest to improve in. Repetition is important for this.
    13 karma
    @montaha.rizeq
    Studying for 3 months usually doesn't do much for many people, unless your diagnostic was a 160 or something.What material are you using?
    That's really interesting to hear. So far I have done this: In May, I went through this book by Manhattan LSAT that was about LG that I had bought in high school, it was a nice introduction but I don't think it actually prepared me enough for the test. I bought the LSAT Trainer, got a little ways through it, and am in a Powerscore class, which has been really helpful
    11542 karma
    I've never used Manhattan material so I can't say much about it. I know @"Alex Divine" uses/d it though. I've studied with the Bibles and they were good for honing down the base of the LSAT but it wasn't enough for me to get a good score. Out of all of the books, the trainer has been most helpful in my journey. @az.avdagic
    How long is the powerscore class? Sorry for all the questions btw haha
    edited August 2016 13 karma
    @montaha.rizeq The class goes until a week before the September test I believe, it's online, pretty helpful, and our instructor says not to worry too much at this point but to start turning up the practice tests to about 1-2 a week. That is good to hear that the Trainer is helpful though, I picked it up, started it and stopped once my Powerscore class started, but if I push the test back until December I'll finish it before then
    11542 karma
    Yeah don't use too many materials at once so that's good you stopped the trainer for now lol. Well since Sept LSAT is right around the corner, I would hope you begin doing PTs rather soon to get the hang of it to increase your score. How many tests do you plan on taking?
    13 karma
    @montaha.rizeq I am thinking about taking 2-3 PT a week from this week onward, I have a friend who did one in the morning and one at night almost everyday for about 3 weeks before his test and he said it really helped! (He got a 160) Although I would really like to take some time to just focus on LG and basic concepts for awhile as well.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @az.avdagic said:
    Having LG down would make the test much more manageable and I frequently read that LG is where a lot of LSAT takers improve. And that you made the choice to finish school first is very encouraging to hear. Best of luck to you!
    Yes! It certainly will. Something I noticed is that after I got LG down the whole test felt less stressful. I was able to not dread games and in turn able to keep my confidence after a games section!

Yeah, I think finishing school is a good move. Get some work experience under your belt, and see what type of law you might be interested in. I got a job in corporate america working with some ex-lawyers. So it was nice to get a glimpse of what things might be like post-law school.

:) No rush. Law school will still be here in a couple years
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2016 23929 karma
    < unequivocally >@az. unequivocally said:
    @ unequivocally.rizeq I am thinking about taking 2-3 PT a week from this week onward, I have a friend who did one in the morning and one at night almost everyday for about 3 weeks before his test and he said it really helped! (He got a 160) Although I would really like to take some time to just focus on LG and basic concepts for awhile as well.

2 a day is a recipe for burnout. Furthermore, you just won't have the mental capacity to do two in a day and do the proper blind review. The blind review is where you are going to really do the learning, whereas the PT itself is a gauge; a means to an end, if you will.

Also, don't feel like you have to rush to start PT'ing if you still need some work with LG first. From hanging out on LSAT forums for the past year +, I think I can say unequivocally that the two most common mistakes I see made are 1. Starting PTs too soon. and, 2. not spending enough time learning the curricula.

Like @montaha.rizeq said, The LSAT Trainer is probably your best bet if you wish to supplement with another book. My opinion on Manhattan is generally favorable. I think they are lightyears better than Powerscore in many respects, at least in their books that is.

It is basically Powerscore without the gimmicks. I actually went through some of the Powerscore LR today, got 15 pages in and got extremely confused and remember why I put it down in the first place. They have these catch phrases like "The conclusion discovery Binary Method™ " And I'm just like...Oh OK.....
    So yeah, Manhattan explains it without the trademarks. That said, I think The LSAT Trainer takes all the best things about Manhattan and makes it better once again while distilling it.

Mike Kim (who authored The Trainer and co-authored Manhattan LSAT) essentially told me this when I asked why he doesn't include things like the "logic chain" in The Trainer, for example.

I'd say reach for Manhattan only if you find you still need another point of view for things to click. Powerscore LG/LR bible actually confused me more. The again, everyone is different, so you have to do what works for you! I'm clearly a 7Sage convert, even after buying ALL--and I mean ALL--these books, so that should count for something, lol.

I have a lot of faith in you and your goals! December is 4 months away. Consistent-deliberate action will be key. You got this, @az.avdagic.

11542 karma
    Taking two PTs a day is just pointless in my opinion. There's no much to gain from that. The point of taking PTs is to not only take as many as possible, but to do so efficiently. The blind review method created by JY is probably the best thing you can do to your PT performance. Have you checked it out?
    11542 karma
    I'm clearly a 7Sage convert, even after buying ALL--and I mean ALL--these books, so that should count for something, lol.
    @"Alex Divine" dead LOOL
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    @az.avdagic that information tells me you are certainly not in the "not meant for law school"' category. You just started studying! What I would suggest is to finish whatever you are using to study, whether it is 7sage, the trainer, or the power score bibles and THEN start taking more PTs. I would take 5-8 with thorough BR to get more use to the test and then allocate around 2 weeks for pure LG drilling. After that, keep PTing and keep shoring up on your weaknesses in between! Hope that helps. You can definitely reach the 160 benchmark.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Hey, it looks like everyone pretty much has you covered OP, but just to reinforce a few things:

1. Performing poorly on the LSAT after very minimal studying is definitely not indicative of if you're meant for law school or not. I'm about a year and a half into studying for this thing, and that isn't unusual. It's a really hard test, so don't let it give you a crisis of confidence.

2. I would definitely delay at least until December. Jumping from the 140s to the 160s is an enormous undertaking. September test takers really need to be scoring at least at their target scores by now. It's too close to time to expect significant gains between now and DDay.

3. Stop taking PTs! Taking full length, fresh PTs is actually a very advanced stage of studying for this thing, and you can't benefit from it until you're mastered the basics, which you are still working on. Taking PTs before I was ready was maybe the biggest mistake I made (other than taking the real thing before I was ready!) and it's not one you want to have to learn for yourself if you can avoid it. Fresh PTs are really powerful study resources and if you're attempting them before you are ready you are wasting them.
  • Dark Knight VDark Knight V Member
    194 karma
    Lots of good advice on this thread! As someone who recently decided to take the test in December instead of September, I would strongly advise taking the extra time. With enough studying (and time), you will be able to hit your target score - so if you're not there yet I would wait until you are.
  • CenaBenaCenaBena Member
    138 karma
    @az.avdagic I think sometimes the biggest mistake we can make is comparing ourselves to other people and how they study. We are all guilty of it. However, everyone is different and everyone has a different approach and methods to study which are specific to that person. If you don't feel ready, don't write. If you do, give it a try. Either way do what is best for you - no matter what anyone else says. Also, there are MANY MANY great lawyers who were not the best on LSAT - don't let that stop you.

Stay strong girl, we are all in this together!
    edited August 2016 11542 karma
    @CenaBena said:
    I think sometimes the biggest mistake we can make is comparing ourselves to other people and how they study

While it can be effective to find different study methods to give yourself another idea, it shouldn't result in "omg soandso studies this way and got a 180, I need to study that way too!" sounds like a logical flaw cough cough.
  • CenaBenaCenaBena Member
    138 karma
    @montaha.rizeq haha, that made me laugh! Isn't it gross how now everything people say and do we can find the logical flaw? Ah, the joys.
    11542 karma
    @CenaBena said:
    Isn't it gross how now everything people say and do we can find the logical flaw?
    For sure...I get told "ok Montaha, we aren't in a courtroom" on the daily lol.
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    @az.avdagic said:
    I'm not sure if this is a "it takes more time" kind of thing or a "you're just not meant for law school" kind of thing,
    It's the former. With commitment and desire anything is possible. Just practice and the seemingly impossible questions will become quite manageable. Good luck!