Deferall

chriswilliamarpchriswilliamarp Free Trial Member
Hi all. Does anyone have any advice about the deferral process? I'm looking at Top Tier (really top 6) schools and thinking about applying this fall and potentially deferring for a year if I get in. I don't want to put off applying because there's a chance that I may not want to defer. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get a deferral from Harvard, Yale, Columbia etc.?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @chriswilliamarp said:
    Does anyone know how difficult it is to get a deferral from Harvard, Yale, Columbia etc.?
    I don't think it is that hard, but you usually need to have a legitimate reason as to why, at least from what I understand. I don't think they look favorably on just deferring for the sake of traveling and backpacking through Europe or something like that.

I think the school's policies differ a bit, so certainly look into it first.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited August 2016 11542 karma
    I have a friend who's a fulbright and had a deferral from Georgetown. It's possible but probably mainly for an academic purpose, I'd double check.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    I don't think it is that hard, but you usually need to have a legitimate reason as to why, at least from what I understand.
    Exactly. Most people that I know who received deferrals had legitimate academic reasons (e.g., TFA, Fulbright, Peace Corps)