Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GPA Improvement and Disability

islesisles Alum Member
in General 4 karma
Hey everyone, I have an inquiry into GPA improvements and disabilities. When I transferred to a 4 year, I thought that I was going to be pre-med. Long story short: I dropped both my intro chem classes and the labs associated. Consenquently, I ended up with a 2.25. However, winter term I showed an improvement. My GPA when from a 2.25 to a 3.5. In spring, I managed to extend that to a 3.3. (We're talking individual terms. My overall GPA is a 3.24). I know that I'm still in undergraduate and going to be a junior, but what do you guys suggest that I do from here on (besides GPA)? In addition, I have a documented disability.

Comments

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    edited August 2016 1741 karma
    When the time comes to apply, submit an addendum explaining your disability and how it effected your GPA. Explain what lead to the increase in GPA. With your GPA still being above a 3.0, you have a shot at some really good schools, but only with a stellar LSAT score. You still have plenty of time to bring up your GPA! Also, seeing as you're only a junior, and you already have ultimate+, it appears you're taking steps in the right direction. You have plenty of time to optimize your LSAT score.

Focus on your GPA now, then crush the LSAT when the time comes. Don't give into pressure to take the LSAT before you are done with undergrad unless you are undoubtedly ready. Quite a few people have that mentality and end up achieving lesser of a score than what they are capable of.

Plug some numbers in here: http://mylsn.info/b2zbth/ and have fun. :)

Best of luck!
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    @jknauf said:
    Also explain what lead to the increase in GPA
    THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!! You NEVER want to talk about your disability on your admissions package unless you come with a VERY convincing argument as to how you have managed to overcome said disability. It REALLY sucks that we live in the world that we do where our abilities and competence is judged based on disabilities, but the fact remains that we do. I'm working with Spivey and they advised that I just leave out references to my disability, unless it's presented in a way where I basically confirm that it's something I have already figured out how to deal with and overcome.
  • sneakymurphsneakymurph Member
    edited August 2016 56 karma
    I don't know if this advice is warranted, but if GPA is a concern, you could always take classes at the local CC over the summer to help boost your GPA? (I know that I wish I would have known that CC courses counted towards the LSAC GPA during undergrad...)