Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

JY's memory method and Nicole's notation strategies

Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
in General 1058 karma
Hi guys! Hope y'all had a great weekend! Just a really quick question for you guys.
So… JY's memory method didn't work for me at all-- I tried this a WHILE ago multiple times. Nicole's strategies, however, have been far more helpful to me. Now, do you guys think that these two methods are complementary? I feel like they are quite different…if not the opposite. I've been really confused. Oh yes, Mike Kim's RC tips do help too and his is more closely aligned with Nicole's. Like Mike's, Nicole's strategies don't require that we memorize the key components of the contents even though I do concur that both methods insist that we focus on the reasoning structure. Has anyone felt the same before? I'd like to know what y'all think about this. Thanks!

Comments

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @kimht90 i agree with everything you've said. The memory thing did not work for me either but there is no concrete method to this. Once you get rolling you'll see that you're probably going to take a little of this and a little of that from different methods to create your own. Do whatever works for you! Idk if I would say the methods are opposites but they are quite different. Even though notates I still think you have to remember just a tad bit for reading structure and for the memory method don't you usually jot down the main idea from the paragraph? That's notation. Just not heavy? I see what you mean by opposites though. I just think everybody's doing the same thing they just tweaked it here and there. Most people have no clue how to improve on RC so when you find what works for you just roll with it!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @kimht90

Yes, I think they are very complimentary. Though they have there differences, I don't feel as though they are opposites, I can totally see how you feel that way. I think Nicole's strategy is more or less based on The LSAT Trainer's RC lessons and somewhat uses many of the same techniques as the memory method. I just think the approach is a bit different, but in the end, as you stated, you are reading for reasoning structure and looking for the same key things in every passage.

Like @tanes256 said, find what works for you and use it. I feel like you can learn a lot from the memory method, Nicole's adaptation, and The LSAT Trainer and then take and use things from each that work for ya. :)
  • Matthew524Matthew524 Member
    651 karma
    @"Alex Divine" do you have the link to Nicole's notation strategy webinar?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Matthew524 Yup, here ya go:

Can't tell you how much I love @"Nicole Hopkins" and her RC strategy!
  • Matthew524Matthew524 Member
    651 karma
    Thank you! @"Alex Divine"
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Matthew524 You got it buddy :)
  • DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma
    @"Alex Divine" you are one of the nicest ppl on here!
  • jaymasonman13jaymasonman13 Free Trial Member
    edited August 2016 48 karma
    @"Nina_Lucas" said:
    Yes! Thank you for all the links and stuff you sent me Alex.
    Which method do you use for RC?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Nina_Lucas" said:

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @jaymasonman13 said:

Yes! Thank you for all the links and stuff you sent me Alex.
    Which method do you use for RC?

Of course dude!

To be quite honest, I haven't began prepping for reading comp yet. It is one of those sections that just really click for me. LR is the section that is going to be a battle for me...

I think the memory method, Nicole's strategy, and The LSAT Trainer have a lot more in common than we think. You can kind of use them in tandem.... Essentially I feel like Nicole's is a combination of the Trainer and JY's method, with elements of Manhattan RC. I think I will plan on using some variation of Nicole's take though.

By all means though, do what works for you! Try all the methods out if you have the time :)
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    I see J.Y.s memory method as more of a training tool, designed to get you accustomed to RC. The Trainer and Nicole offer incredible advice (as does J.Y.) when it comes to RC. At the end of the day, you want to focus on the main point of the passage, what the author feels about said main point, and how the rest of the paragraphs relate to the main point (e.g. P1 is background for the main point, P2 supports the main point, etc.).
  • Wild StrawberryWild Strawberry Core Member
    edited February 2022 112 karma

Hey is there any working link to Nicole's notation strategy webinar?

• Determined_-1Determined_-1 Member
    919 karma

following; does anyone have this link