Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adjusting to the morning

Cottyboy24Cottyboy24 Alum Member
edited August 2014 in September 2014 LSAT 16 karma
I recently adjusted my schedule to be able to take my PTs at 9 am. I had been taking them in the afternoon before this and was getting mid-high 160s. I took one this morning for the first time and got a 156 which is the lowest I've gotten since my first ever PT. Is a ten point drop normal when changing to morning testing times? And what suggestions does anyone have to get your mind on point in the morning?

Comments

• lsathopefullsathopeful Alum Member
    263 karma
    Try to get in the habit of being awake for at least 2 hours before you take the exam (if at all possible - it usually takes some time for your brain to be fully alert.)

Also, if you recently adjusted your schedule it might take several days (at least) to get used to your new schedule. So, the problem might fix itself in a couple days.

Good luck!
  • Allison MAllison M Alum Member Inactive Sage
    810 karma
    I second everything that @lsathopeful said - I find that I need to be up at 6:00 to feel fully awake in time for an 8:30 PT. Getting up and going to bed at the same time every day is also a good idea.
  • chrijani7chrijani7 Alum Member
    827 karma
    @cottyboy you probably aren't a "morning person" thats why you experienced such a significant drop. If you typically aren't awake and active in the AM, then you were probably tired and your brain wasn't at its peak, as it would have been if the tests were taken in the afternoon. If you want to practice getting up early and becoming a "morning person" for the next month, you can try and do what I always use to do after all-nighter in my undergrad. Choose a day that you will be taking off from the LSAT. Wake up super early that day (530am-6am) and STAY AWAKE ALL DAY, no naps. Do whatever you want that day, you can try and do a little LSAT stuff if you want, but I wouldn't suggest a PT. This will allow you to become tired at an earlier time at night, so get to bed a little early, and try and wake up around the same time again. Eventually it will become easier and easier to get up and you will get used of performing in the AM.
  • Cottyboy24Cottyboy24 Alum Member
    16 karma
    Thanks for the responses! It was surprising and a little discouraging to see such a low score. But I am confident i can improve that. Now thinking back I did wake up like 45 minutes before I took the test (seems obvious and dumb now). And I also usually exercise right before I take my PTs later in the day. I'm going to try getting up early enough to hit the gym and let my brain wake up. I'm just glad I didn't assume I would be fine and show up to take my first early test on the actual LSAT date!
    edited August 2014 827 karma
    Oh yea, 45 minutes before the PT that definitely wouldn't work for me. I am usually up at like 6 or 630am. I eat breakfast and basically chill for an hour (read/sudoku/watch the news), then I get ready between 730am-8am. Leave for the lib and get there at 830am, do a little light review (5-6 LR q's, 1-2 individual logic games, 1 RC passage). Then get into a PT. But that's just me, I take awhile to get up, and if my morning routine is thrown off, then all hell breaks loose and my entire day is chaos.

Edit: Oh and the fact that you typically work out in the afternoon before the PT is an indication of ritual. And don't overlook how powerful a ritual can be. Since you woke up and didn't get your ritual that can have a negative effect on your mind. The ritual for me in the morning is what puts my head in the game. Likewise, you going to the gym probably puts you in the zone, gets your head in the game before you sit down to write.
    16 karma
    It sounds like we are pretty similar in a lot of ways. I'm definitely a creature of habit. And yes, exercise really pus me in the zone. Thanks for the advise, I need to apply some of the same stuff you do.

On the same note of me working out before my PTs... I tend to drink a lot of water to stay hydrated and find it hard to make it through 5 sections without going to the bathroom. At the real test during the 15 minute break are you allowed to leave to use the restroom? I've always assumed so but haven't been able to find anything that specifically says yes or no
    827 karma
    I think it depends on your test centre (from what I hear), but honestly I don't see why you couldn't. That'd be outrageous to tell someone they cannot use the washroom on their 15 minute break during 3-4 hour exam. It's not like you can go in the washroom and look at the answers because its not a typical UNI exam. So, I can't see why you wouldn't be allowed. Thats definitely one thing I have to work on during my PT's. I usually do 4 section PT's so I take a break after section 2 and get used of going to the washroom then. I need to limit my coffee just to get used of the feeling.
  • lsathopefullsathopeful Alum Member
    263 karma
    @chrijani7 On the topic of habit, it may be helpful to start waiting until after section 3 to take a break, as you won't get a break until then on the real thing. Also, going to the bathroom (and eating a snack) during break are allowed.
    16 karma
    I figured you could but everything seems to be super strict so I thought I would make sure. Thanks.
    827 karma
    @lsathopeful Yea I am going to try doing that for the next 4 weeks. I have such a hard time with it because after section 2 I have to use the washroom. I drink a coffee before I leave the house and pick one up on my way and drink it while I review/prepare for the PT. So by the time, I am done section 2, its game over. It definitely something I need to work on :( its a bad habit.

What's everyone planning to bring as a snack? I need suggestions!
  • Allison MAllison M Alum Member Inactive Sage
    810 karma
    I try to limit myself to one cup of tea in the morning, which I finish about 1.5-2 hours before I start the test. I really don't want the need for a bathroom break to be my downfall!