Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Professors asked me for a "statement of purpose" in order to get letter of recommendation

_oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
edited August 2016 in Law School Admissions 3652 karma
My professors said they need it so they get an idea of what my plans are for law school. I'm interested in commercial litigation or corporate law, not really sure yet.

From googling statement of purpose, it looks like it's something for students applying to graduate schools that pretty much says "this is why I want to apply to this program".

I don't feel comfortable giving them my personal statement as it's very...personal. I open it up briefly talking about rough sh*t that happened to me when I was young and that leads into how I'm a stronger person today etc. I'm also only halfway finished with it.

Should I just give them a more generic and less personal version of my personal statement?

I want to get it in to them by late September as I know they won't want to deal with writing a letter of rec during midterms (November) or finals (December).

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma
    Also for schools that only accept 2 LORs, do I submit one from a professor and one from an employer? or both from professors?
    I have an attorney I've closely worked with that could write me an outstanding LOR. Also have 2 professors that agreed to write me an LOR. I'm sure the profs' will be good as well.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"surfy surf" said:
    Also for schools that only accept 2 LORs, do I submit one from a professor and one from an employer? or both from professors?
    'I would do 3 professors if you are still in UG/ recently graduated. Always better usually.

If you don't feel comfortable sharing your PS with your recommenders, I would say a less personal version may be a good choice. Just make it clear why you want to practice law and make sure it is well written and error free. You should be OK. I believe that when profs ask for these statements of purpose it is to give them fodder to use in their recommendations, so keep that in mind as your write it as well.