Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Specialty Law Program Rankings

nch2092nch2092 Member
edited August 2014 in General 8 karma
I just thought I would throw this question out to the community in hopes of getting a question answered. I am currently planning on studying health care law. Does anyone know how much the ranking of a specialty law program matters in terms of future employment? I have seen few answers online regarding the topic and I have seen even less evidence to back up opinions.

Comments

• CFC152436CFC152436 Alum Member
    284 karma
    Very little, if anything. According to US News, the number 1 ranked health care law program is the University of Maryland...well, for the class of 2013, only 50% of Maryland's law graduates are employed in full-time, long-term, bar-passage-required jobs. So yea, they may be "ranked" number 1, but I'm not going to school (and paying an absurd tuition) for a 50-50 chance of becoming an attorney.

The top schools have the best (and really the only decent) employment outcomes. It's a little "matter of fact," but like it or not, that's the truth.

Sources:
    http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/clinical-healthcare-law-rankings

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/maryland/2013/
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    I agree with CFC152436. I have not heard any good evidence to the effect that specializations make you more hireable. Rather, this seems more like a gimmick to draw in candidates who may not have the scores to go to higher ranked schools but want to go to law school nonetheless. This also tends to draw in LLM applicants from abroad.
  • abinandehabinandeh Alum Member
    edited August 2014 91 karma
    Think of it this way you're the head of recruiting for a law firm that is "number 1" in the nation for healthcare law. You're looking for young law school student who will make a great addition to your firm, maintain/exceed the legal standard of work you produce, and able to fit in with the style, culture, and demands your particular firm has. Do you hire a graduate of University of Maryland which is rank #1, or Harvard Law School which is #10 on that same list.
  • nch2092nch2092 Member
    8 karma
    All of these comments make sense, and I would have to agree with everything said. One question I had regarding such employment statistical rates is that of the specific rates for those who follow the specialty program. Is there any way to track down the rates of employment specifically pertaining to those who graduate with a health law track from such a school specializing in the area? While I am confident that it is best to gravitate towards the school with the higher overall ranking, what if the overall employment statistics for a school like Maryland do not accurately represent those who are specifically involved with the healthcare track? All of this becomes irrelevant if I get into a highly ranked school; however, I am trying to determine at what point do I choose a school ranked with a higher specialization compared to a higher overall ranking, (assuming this is the main factor in play).
  • liuyolandaliuyolanda Free Trial Member
    21 karma
    I hear Seton Hall is very strong and famous for health care law program. If you can go to a top 20 law school, definitely go for it even though that specific school's health care law program is not ranked very high. However, if you are looking for some average ranking ( 50-80) schools, do go to the schools that are especially strong for health care law. Even for U of Maryland, I strongly suggest that you contact their admission office, to ask their health care law students' employment data specifically, maybe 100% health care law students find jobs and they make a large portion of the overall 50% employed. Use the LR method to view the data smartly~
  • badgalriribadgalriri Alum Member
    316 karma
    Going back to this old thread - I also am strongly interested (not 100% sure yet) in health law and am just wondering more about the opportunities available at each school. I understand firms would still hire a Harvard over a Georgetown (with rankings in mind) though Georgetown ranks higher in health law, but would I be less prepared for a health law career if I went somewhere that's not ranked high in health law?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @badgalriri said:
    Going back to this old thread - I also am strongly interested (not 100% sure yet) in health law and am just wondering more about the opportunities available at each school. I understand firms would still hire a Harvard over a Georgetown (with rankings in mind) though Georgetown ranks higher in health law, but would I be less prepared for a health law career if I went somewhere that's not ranked high in health law?
    No, I don't think you would be anymore or any less prepared to be honest. Most law schools have the same curriculum and you learn the same things (although some may have different seminar classes) Health care law tends to attract a rare breed of those with both M.D/J.Ds or MPP/J.Ds, so places with joint programs may be something to consider. But even so, it is in your best interest to consider rank above almost everything else...

I tend to think that "speciality" rankings are part of the law school scam in the US. So I would ignore them and aim for the highest rank school. That will always give you the best chance at employment.