Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

include rental property ownership in resume?

sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
in General 1501 karma
I am the sole owner of a residential property of which I am the landlord.. do I somehow include this on my resume? I am considering it in terms of 1) it's a job sort of, as I do profit off of it, 2) i've been doing it for a few years so it is part of what has kept me busy which adds to what I have been busy doing while completing my undergrad, working full-time, and being a single mother, so I think it adds to the evidence that I am able to balance a multitude of tasks successfully, and 3) shows leadership and management skills (maybe?). I have my resume pretty complete but this actually just crossed my mind today. Should I somehow address it on my resume? At the very bottom under skills and interests?

Comments

• DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma
    @dytmom_3x I'm not sure how it shows leadership.... but maybe management. I'm leaning towards not adding it because owning property isn't really a job, just like owning your own house isn't considered a job nor something you add on a resume.
  • sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma
    Maybe if it were an entire apartment building it would be worth it. Although owning the rental property is a bit more challenging than just owning the house I live in.
  • Slim_JimSlim_Jim Alum Member
    105 karma
    I think you can put it on your resume. Is the property in a company name or LLC? I would position it as a Self-employed / Landlord / Property Manager with a description of the duties, what you have improved upon or learned over the few years you have been doing it.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @willits.james said:
    I think you can put it on your resume. Is the property in a company name or LLC? I would position it as a Self-employed / Landlord / Property Manager with a description of the duties, what you have improved upon or learned over the few years you have been doing it.
    This sounds like a good idea. Besides, I don't really see any downsides to it. It certainly sounds positive to me.
  • sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma
    Thanks I agree, definitely a good way to word it thanks for the input.