Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Statement consulting recommended for someone who has a "boring life"?

LSAT4234LSAT4234 Alum Member
in General 75 karma
How does someone write a quality personal statement without a compelling experience to write about? I am considering hiring help to come up with ideas for the personal statement and to write it because I have no idea what to write about!

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    *cough* @david.busis *cough* he's truly an excellent source for this and thankfully offers his expertise for 7sage students! he has a webinar going on tonight in about 45 mins. check it out and if you are interested, sign up for one of his packages:
    https://7sage.com/enroll-admissions/
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @LSAT4234 said:
    I am considering hiring help to come up with ideas for the personal statement and to write it because I have no idea what to write about!
    Definitely check out that webinar even if you aren't signed up to get help. It helps just to hear other people with the same concerns get helped by the amazing @david.busis

I'd also seriously consider getting some professional help. I certainly will be. Admissions are so much of a mystery to us 0Ls, I will feel so much better knowing I am being helped by a professional. Also the prices for personal statement help 7sage offers is literally thousands less than other companies.
  • DallasOnFireDallasOnFire Member
    edited August 2016 249 karma
    No matter how boring you perceive your life to be there have been times that have been meaningful and significant to you. Some people will often tell me "how boring" they are or how they grew up "super average white" (what does that even mean?). I refuse to believe that anyone has reached the post-graduate life without moments of pain, suffering, moments of sudden realization, and events that taught you a lesson.

They might feel diminutive compared to some bourgie shmuck with TFA, Ivy League Education, summers in Ecuador, and a high-powered career but I guarantee that if you can write with some degree of verve and personality, your light will shine through. Obviously this will take some degree of chin-stroking and potentially a lot of time.

It's you, man. You have done things that are momentous if only to yourself. Write about them.
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7272 karma
    Thanks, @"Alex Divine" and @montaha.rizeq. @LSAT4234, the Admissions Starter course has loads of advice about choosing a personal statement topic. In fact, there's an entire class (multiple lesson) called "Choosing a Personal Statement Topic": https://7sage.com/enroll-admissions/.