Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cancel September LSAT?

lmekahellmekahel Alum Member
edited August 2016 in September 2016 LSAT 161 karma
Hi,
This past week hit me with a wave of anxiety and I'm not sure if its because I'm just nervous for the test or if I'm not actually prepared or ready to take the exam. It's my first time taking the LSAT and I'm pretty stressed out.
I started studying in July with Kaplan. I was studying from 8 to 12 hours a day. After the second to last week of the course once finishing about 90% of all the material I felt I didn't get very far. I moved to Powerscore and finished all the books and workbooks within a week or two. I continued to study for about 12 hours a day just trying to retain information. I finished doing most of my drills from all the workbooks as well as Kaplan and I have started to take timed and untimed tests. My score seems to be at a standstill. I seem to be stuck with LG. I can solve all types of LG but my biggest challenge is finishing on time. I can at most get to only 3 sections. On top of that my Logical reasoning score is not too hot either. I have been making 7 to 8 mistakes per section of LR. In addition my Reading Comprehension has times where I make from only 3 mistakes to 7 or 8 mistakes.
I really want to get a 160 on my LSAT but right now I'm just averaging 155. At this point I started tackling the LR by breaking down the stimulus into components and analyzing the conclusion premise etc. I'm trying to figure out a way to look at it differently. I'm trying to change how I approach the question. But I really have no idea what I should do for September. I'm pretty bummed as well that today is the day I'm having my breakdown since yesterday was the last day to change it without losing all my money.
I just don't know what I should. I don't feel prepared but isn't that normal? I'm not sure people ever feel prepared to take this test...
I'm debating if just to try it once just to get past the building anxiety and stress I have created for this test or to wait until December.

I would really appreciate the advice.

Thanks.

Comments

• DallasOnFireDallasOnFire Member
    249 karma
    I was in your position. Had not mastered games, felt OK-ish with LR, and RC was a crapshoot.

Took the test anyway, because I figured I needed to get a feel for it. Got about 5 points under my goal. I ended up needing to re-take, which I basically predicted going into it.

If I had to start all over again, I would say take the curriculum at 7Sage (starter version is fine). Finish the whole curriculum and do at least ten practice tests. Feel comfortable doing all the games under time at the very least. This should get you to a comfortable level.

Unless you desperately need to apply for law school this early this year, I would post-pone. Don't waste your time taking a test that you do not feel comfortable with.
  • lmekahellmekahel Alum Member
    161 karma
    @DallasOnFire Thanks for the advice!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Agreed with @DallasOnFire

I'd also add that I had the same experience with Powerscore. No matter how much I studied it seemed like my score just wouldn't budge.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @lmekahel said:
    I'm debating if just to try it once just to get past the building anxiety and stress I have created for this test or to wait until December.
    Don't take until you are prepared. You'll know you are prepared because the objective measure will be that your PT average of your last several tests will be your goal. For example, your PT average will become a 160.

Plan to cancel because a month just isn't enough time. And I don't think it is a good idea to essentially waste a take to get over your nerves of the test. Often when people do this they report that they were just as anxious the second time around. And you end up essentially throwing away a take that you might end up needing. Use the 7Sage Proctor and go to a public library or your university library and take the test there. That will give you a decent gauge on how you would perform on test day. And you get to keep a take.

My advice for moving forward would be to finish the 7Sage course. Like @"Cant Get Right" I found Powerscore mostly unhelpful. It gave me an idea of what the test was sorta, but as far as strategies that helped me increase my score... not much.

Also don't rush through it or study for 12 hours a day because it obviously isn't working. When I began studying a few months ago I was trying to do 6-8 and even that was a bit on the high end. 12 is just a recipe for burnout. More importantly is you need to give yourself and your brain time to absorb what you are learning. A 12 hour study sessions might work for cramming for finals, but for something like the LSAT it simply won't work as you found out.

The money you will lose from cancelling is nothing compared to your entire future. It sucks -- but it isn't worth wasting a take incase you end up needing all 3 to hit your target. Even if you don't it is nice knowing you have the takes to use.

I think you have what it takes to get a 160 if you give yourself the time you need.

• lmekahellmekahel Alum Member
    161 karma