Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hey guys... Just want some opinions that i'd greatly appreciate...

So... my question is whether I'm making the right decision by taking the September LSAT. I have a 3.8 GPA and I'm aiming for a 164-166 on the LSAT... Now, from the last 5 PT's, I've scored 161 twice, 164 twice and a 162. I've noticed that on days where I wake up feeling really good, I end up getting a 164, which makes me feel like I'm literally RIGHT there at around a 164-166 range. The issue is that i'd wanna hit the score a few more times before test date so i can go in confidently. (Which can still happen given that i have a couple more weeks.) Another thing is that if I do miss my target score by a couple points, I can take it again in December with a bit more improvement so I'd have two tries at it. Anyway, i feel like this post is all over the place lol. What do you guys think? (I also want to take the test earlier so i can submit my apps earlier, which would give me an advantage in the application process.) I'd appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    Take the LSAT when you are ready. Since you are not afraid of taking it again you could go ahead with the September LSAT and cancel the score if you know it went south. But in general I would say don't rush things.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    I think you're in good shape! Take a few more PTs and you should be seeing an upward trend. Remain confident in your performance and that should help for the days leading up to the LSAT.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    I think you're in good shape! Take a few more PTs and you should be seeing an upward trend. Remain confident in your performance and that should help for the days leading up to the LSAT.
    I think you're in good shape myself. I think you should go for it and then retake in December if you need to!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    If you under perform on both, are you going to take what you can get or delay another year to get the score you need? If delaying is an option, I might wait until December when you will be better prepared. Assuming good study habits, your December test will almost certainly be an improvement over September, so if you fall short in December you probably weren't going to make it in September anyway. If delaying is an option, it might be beneficial to have two takes. With where you are right now, you're going to need things to go right on test day and I'm, in general, deeply skeptical of that happening. You don't lose much by just taking in December, but if delaying to next cycle is a possibility, you benefit greatly by having two takes left. This was my exact situation and I really really wish I hadn't taken the October test last year.
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    If you are absolutely not willing to even consider applying not this cycle but the next, a take in September may be beneficial, since you really won't be wasting a take (you have Sept, Dec, and Feb before the cycle ends, though I've seen rare cases allow a June take). You still have about three weeks left of prep, and I think you can solidify and/or increase your range by that time. You're so close to where you need to be regardless; whether you feel 100%, you're so close to being there.

If you take the September test, take a week or two off and keep on studying, even when you haven't received your score yet. That'll give you a head start into studying for December in case you didn't do well in September or in case you'd like to go for an even better score.

I'm in a situation where I will absolutely be applying for next year, so not taking the September exam when I'm not quite at 100% won't really benefit me at all. Since I'm at the very least so close to where I'd like to be, I'm much better off taking my good odds of getting a satisfactory score in September and having two takes left than counting on only December and February to give me the score I'd like. I also get sick a lot, so I'm not counting on being perfectly healthy on any one test day.

Refusing to apply for the 2019 cycle really presents the only circumstance where I would recommend taking the test when not fully ready. Even then, I would only recommend it if you're very close to where you'd like to be, which you clearly are.

Whether you are open to waiting a year or not, keep on studying for the next few weeks to see where you land. I'm not sure when you can cancel without any repercussions, but you have some time to make progress. If you're open to postponing your application a year in favor of a higher score, I'd recommend only taking the September test is you are 100% where you need to be.
  • 308 karma
    @danielznelson @"Cant Get Right" @"Alex Divine" @desire2learn @montaha.rizeq Thanks for the responses guys. So basically, what I got from all the responses is that if I'm willing to wait and apply next year, i should wait to take it in December but otherwise, it wouldn't be a bad move taking it in September since I'm close to my target score. That's the exact same thought process I had when deciding and I would really prefer just applying this year because I was prepping to take it last year during my senior year of college but I ended up needing a last minute surgery so that ruined all plans. So even though I hadn't really thoroughly started studying last year, i was forced to have to wait a year to take it, which is why I don't want to wait another year this time around if I can help it. So yeah, that's where I am with the whole thing. That's why I'd prefer to just take it in September and maybe even in December since I'm so close to where i want to be.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Yep, if delaying another cycle is not an option you should definitely go ahead and take it.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @"Artak Mamikonyan" said:
    So basically, what I got from all the responses is that if I'm willing to wait and apply next year, i should wait to take it in December but otherwise, it wouldn't be a bad move taking it in September since I'm close to my target score.