Goal 155-ish

afelsafaafelsafa Alum Member
in General 164 karma
My goal score is 154-157, and I'd be really happy with anything in that range. My question is: what should I be PTing at so that I am safe to get a score in that range? These are my PT scores:

PT36 Dec 2001 2016-08-18 3 weeks ago 160
PT52 Sep 2007 2016-08-26 2 weeks ago 159
PT41 Oct 2003 2016-08-30 1 week ago 152
PT53 Dec 2007 2016-08-30 1 week ago 153
PT54 Jun 2008 2016-08-31 1 week ago 154
PT55 Oct 2008 2016-09-08 7 hours ago 154

The times aren't exactly when I did the tests, they're just when I entered them into the Scorer. I write on September 24th, by the way, and I know my scores are kind of inconsistent, but I'm gonna write 10 more exams before test day, and I'll keep you guys posted. But is my goal feasible in the timeframe I have?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    I don't think you'll get much out of writing 10 tests in 2 weeks. Probably better to do 3-4 (at most) and do a really thorough review. That is where you are going to see improvements. What good will doing a test everyday do at this point? Remember - you don't learn much from taking PTs, they are more useful to think of as barometers of your progress and you won't be progressing much from day to day.

Also it seems like you haven't done any PTs from the 70s which are the more recent and likely to be more similar to the test you'll take in a couple weeks. You'll certainly want to do as many of the 70s as you can before you take the test. But don't do 10 more...

I'd say if you want a 155 on test day, scoring consistently at a 160 is probably a "safe" place to be.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    it seems like you haven't done any PTs from the 70s which are the more recent and likely to be more similar to the test you'll take in a couple weeks. You'll certainly want to do as many of the 70s as you can before you take the test. But don't do 10 more...
    Yeah, focus on the 70s for now and do NOT take 10 more in a 3 week span before the actual LSAT, especially because you'd want about a week of no LSAT prep before the Sept. date. You'll exhaust yourself. I'd say if you're scoring around 155-158 you should be fine during the final stages of prep. Usually we recommend scoring at least 5-10 pts higher than what you want to score on game day but for those that are aiming for a high 150 score shouldn't worry too much about that.
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    Where are you on LG? That'd be a great place to better secure your score.
  • afelsafaafelsafa Alum Member
    164 karma
    like -1, but the worst I've gotten is -4 I think.
  • afelsafaafelsafa Alum Member
    164 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    it seems like you haven't done any PTs from the 70s which are the more recent and likely to be more similar to the test you'll take in a couple weeks. You'll certainly want to do as many of the 70s as you can before you take the test. But don't do 10 more...
    Yeah, focus on the 70s for now and do NOT take 10 more in a 3 week span before the actual LSAT, especially because you'd want about a week of no LSAT prep before the Sept. date. You'll exhaust yourself. I'd say if you're scoring around 155-158 you should be fine during the final stages of prep. Usually we recommend scoring at least 5-10 pts higher than what you want to score on game day but for those that are aiming for a high 150 score shouldn't worry too much about that.

Can you elaborate on this please? I'm not doubting you or anything, I've just never heard that before, and it's kind of reassuring, in a way.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @abmustephan said:
    Can you elaborate on this please?
    Sure! basically the higher of a score you're aiming for, the more you have to be cautious of every question you answer correctly. If you take a look at this correct/incorrect answer chart from PS it shows what I mean:
    https://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/correct_targeted.cfm
    You see the numbers appear more close together when you begin getting into the 170 range whereas the 150s, the numbers vary widely giving you more leniency to answer incorrectly without drastically dropping your score. Either way, you should always try to aim a few points higher than your target score it's just for those aiming in the 170+ they need to worry about this more. Hopefully that helped!
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Alum Member
    1762 karma
    @abmustephan Those few pts are not enough pts to expose certain weaknesses. After like 10ish or whatever you have a better idea of what you really need to work on. The higher you score the harder you have to fight for every point.