Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Early decision round?

KaterynaKateryna Alum Member
in General 984 karma
What do you think are cons and pros applying early decision? Also, can I apply early decision to a couple of schools? Like apply to those which are very unlikely to get me accepted and one that is somewhere in a middle?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Kateryna said:
    What do you think are cons and pros applying early decision?
    The main con is that you relinquish any scholarship negotiation power. In most cases it is probably not a good idea to ED.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @Kateryna said:
    Like apply to those which are very unlikely to get me accepted and one that is somewhere in a middle?
    As Alex said, ED is generally not a good idea because of your disability to negotiate on $$$ but this is especially so if you're applying to schools that you say are "very unlikely to get me accepted " and "one that is somewhere in the middle." ED candidates are generally accepted because their numbers are at least the median/75th percentile of the school. I'm going to say your best bet is to put your app in the regular admissions pool - you'll have more success this way :D
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    ED candidates are generally accepted because their numbers are at least the median/75th percentile of the school. I'm going to say your best bet is to put your app in the regular admissions pool - you'll have more success this way :D
    Yeah, another routinely implemented strategy is E'ding when you are a super splitter. So maybe if you have a GPA below 25%-tile and an LSAT above or at the 75%-tile. Otherwise, the admissions consultants I have heard speak on it generally seem to have reached consensus that more often than not it isn't a great idea. That said, there are situations like Montaha outlined where it could be advantageous.

A friend of mine I met on TLS E'd to NU and was accepted with a 3.3 GPA and a 170s LSAT. (Not sure I remember the exact score, but 170+) So that worked out for him, but he was a splitter for sure.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27860 karma
    You definitely don't want to apply ED to more than one program. By enrolling ED, you are committing to accept an offer if you get one. So, making multiple commitments of that nature is problematic and, needless to say, frowned upon.
  • KaterynaKateryna Alum Member
    984 karma
    thanks for the input. i will apply regular application