Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Burnout 2 weeks away

nantesorkestarnantesorkestar Alum Member
edited September 2016 in September 2016 LSAT 431 karma
Yep, it has hit me again. I've seen my last two PTs sink below my average and I'm starting to get negative thoughts about game day. I want to take 4 more PTs and BR before the 24th. Should I just take off two days? I get super guilty if I take a couple of days off but I think I really need it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @nantesorkestar said:
    Should I just take off two days? I get super guilty if I take a couple of days off but I think I really need it.
    Yes, take a week off if need be and slowly move back into the swing of things. Taking days off will positively contribute to your mental health and well being which is paramount for success on the LSAT. Give yourself the confidence during this time off and reinforce yourself that you've done all you can and gave it your all and now you just have to prove it in a few weeks.
  • DallasOnFireDallasOnFire Member
    249 karma
    4 PT's? That's only 2 a week until game day. I'm targeting the same thing (maybe 5). Take Friday and the weekend off. If you're anything like me, you'll be raring to go come Monday. I feel super guilty too when I break, but that makes sense considering the rigorous schedule we've become accustomed to. Just pick up a book, play some pick-up basketball, or hell play League of Legends all day. Whatever occupies your time and stimulates you in a different way.

Can't keep the car running all day man or it'll run out of gas.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    Oh man, the STRUGGLE IS SO REAL. I've seen nothing but dips in my scores and I've been doing everything in my power to not freak the eff out. Take some R&R time. If you really can't put the LSAT away, like me, do some light drilling. I just wanted to show solidarity though... THE STRUGGLE IS REAL.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Yeah, I will second the advice above and add if you don't take a break it won't go away. Better to take a long weekend now and deal with the guilt rather than to experience it a couple weeks from now.

I also like @blah170blah idea about drilling sections if you absolutely can't stay away - just make sure you do a section you're good at. For me if I try to do this when taking a break and end up scoring low I get more discouraged and the cycle continues.

Good luck man!
  • nantesorkestarnantesorkestar Alum Member
    431 karma
    Thanks everyone for the great advice! I'm going to BR the rest of my PT tomorrow, do some light review on Saturday and take Sunday easy. I do think that this has been impacting my score, especially since I've been studying for a year.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    Yeah I'm totally burned out too. Was taking a PT the other day and just quit right in the middle of it. Taking time off. It's a little uncomfortable so close to time, but by far the best move. You're not really going to improve between now and test day anyway, so taking a break is the best thing you can do to maximize your score at this point.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @nantesorkestar & @blah170blah I am with you!! I had a complete meltdown last Saturday that scared the crap out of me:(
    I took a little time off to clear my head...
    Going into the last 2 weeks, I am trying to make it Fun:) It may be a Fake it til you Make it Strategy, but that is the mental and emotional mantra I keep holding on to before the test. On my off PT days, I am going to take a couple of timed sections that I enjoy to make sure my prep does not become over-whelming but still keep the skills sharp.

@"Cant Get Right" had a great point on the BR call Sat night - when he was taking the PT for the call, he hated the LSAT and stopped after the 2nd section. I thought that showed great self-control and awareness to pull back instead of trying to steam roll a PT.

Stress is counter-productive but how to continue to prep without stress can be counter-intuitive at this point with the test date on the horizon...

To quote Frozen - "Let It Go" - on the expectations and believe in your abilities:)

We can do this!!
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    Man, it's so good to know that I'm not alone. It's a totally shitty feeling but I feel validated in my decision to do some light timed sections instead of PT after PT after PT, even though that's what I want to do to prove to myself I'm game day ready. Seems like a lot of us are going through that.
  • cacrv567cacrv567 Alum Member
    171 karma
    ok this is everything here bc I just scored C2 (which I heard was supposed to be relatively easy) andddddd I blew it. So I instinctively came to this forum, but got caught up in HONY bc of that latest post from JY and then I started reading about vets struggling from PTSD and got a perspective check, and came back here and found this thread and I feel like I'm in good company.

Taking the rest of the night and tomorrow off - see ya
  • kombuchakombucha Alum Member
    202 karma
    Definitely have been feeling the burn as well and so took the day off to treat myself to some chocolates and a face mask. I stand with you guys!
  • KevinSageKevinSage Alum Member
    260 karma
    whew... Thought i was the only one burnt out with the test so close. Taking friday-sunday off, thank god football is back, should occupy my weekend! back at it monday.
  • CalPoliSciCalPoliSci Member
    236 karma
    The only score that matter is the one you earn on game day. No one should be worrying about fluctuations two weeks before the real deal. Just take some time off so you can be at your best on game day.

For me, I'm doing 2 full PTs between now and the 24th. One this Saturday, another next Saturday. And all I'm doing is reviewing them as I always do. That way, on the third Saturday, the real deal, it will be just another Saturday test for me.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Imagine how guilty you're going to feel when you're sitting down for the real thing...feeling like a burnt out zombie. Take the two days off, then come back and PT again.
    You're better off losing out on 2 days of studying, than throwing away months/years of hard work because you were too stubborn to take a break. Ask me how I know, haha.
  • kmarie7kmarie7 Alum Member
    edited September 2016 208 karma
    I am going through the same thing. Some tips I have found that have helped me.
    1. Take a section at a time. You know you are capable of taking the test all together. Part of the burn out is how time consuming it can be.
    2. Change locations of where you study. I had been studying at my desk or kitchen table 96% of the time. I have no idea why, but as soon as I changed locations I was able to focus better. I have even taken my lsat at the pool.
    3. Take that break. You'll be fine.
  • nantesorkestarnantesorkestar Alum Member
    431 karma
    How many PTs are you guys doing before D-Day? I was thinking 3 full-length timed (76, 77 and 78) with one un-timed (75) 2 days before just to reinforce fundamentals while not stressing over timed score?
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    Yeah, I think that would be fine. Just don't stress out so much over how best to not stress out that you stress yourself out, lol.
  • hazelnut13hazelnut13 Alum Member
    244 karma
    @twssmith said:
    It may be a Fake it til you Make it Strategy
    Omg, totally hear you on that one @twssmith. The only way I have been keeping positive in light of self-doubt is pretending like it's going to be okay and waiting for the freak-out to pass. We got this!!!
  • TheLoftGuyTheLoftGuy Alum Member
    690 karma
    I have taken 2 weeks off. Just getting back to it today. I was burnt out nothing made since, but confident that I'll keep my score up. The time off was much needed.
  • jordandavidhoffmanjordandavidhoffman Free Trial Member
    7 karma
    I planned poorly and have gone through pretty much all of the recent prep tests back until#37- What do you suggest I review the last two weeks up until the test?
  • jordandavidhoffmanjordandavidhoffman Free Trial Member
    7 karma
    My score also has been dipping the last couple tests considerably as I have been taking tests from the early 2000's. Should I just go back up to the most recent ones that I did months ago and review?
  • KevinSageKevinSage Alum Member
    260 karma
    FWIW, I just finished BR'ing my latest PT after a lengthy 3 1/2 day break and scored on the higher end of my PT scoring spectrum!

Just wanted to share with all of you the value in letting your brain rest and dealing with burnout.
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    @KevinSage Nice!!!
  • cahillmaffeicahillmaffei Alum Member
    21 karma
    Hey,
    I hope you took some time off and it helped. I was feeling the exact same last week! I swear I was getting worse and feeling so frustrated/stressed. Stopped looking at law school stuff completely last Thursday and took the whole weekend off. Just took another PT yesterday, and increased by 2 points. Felt really guilty about the break at first, but so glad I did!