Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MBT and MSS questions

sweetsana_27sweetsana_27 Alum Member
edited September 2014 in Logical Reasoning 74 karma
So I was watching this video

http://7sage.com/lesson/valid-argument-form-3-review/?ss_completed_lesson=948

and at 1:47 JY says that for MBT questions they are hiding the conclusion so you must supply the conclusion. So this made me wonder that are MBT (must be true) questions and MSS (most strongly supported) questions basically the same thing where we are supposed to find what the conclusion is, which is basically tucked in to the answer choices unlike main point questions where you are just supposed to find it in the stimulus and slap a label.

Kind of confused with these two question types. Can someone please explain the differences.

Thanks!

Comments

• polsckenpolscken Alum Member
    199 karma
    The difference is in the title. Must be true questions rely heavily on formal logic and the answer choice must be true. MSS questions do not have to be true, but they must be strongly supported.

At least, that's my understanding of it.
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    MBT questions are indeed heavily formulaic. The correct answer choice will either be a restatement or an inference drawn from the stimulus above. As for MSS questions, don't let the title fool you, there's only one answer choice that's "Most Strongly Supported". You are correct that the answer choice is usually the conclusion derived from the stimulus above. Also, keep in mind for MSS questions you want answer choices that need the least amount of proving that will be needed. If you look at quantifiers like "some" versus "all" in a MSS question, you can easily see that the answer choice with "some" will be more compelling than the "all" answer choice.
  • brainwvsbrainwvs Alum Member
    79 karma
    MBT answers must be true with 100 percent certainty, whereas MSS answers allows a little room for interpretations. You could say that they answer is correct with 95 percent certainty. Also in MSS question type all wrong answers are 100 percent wrong. This is not the case with MBT questions.