90% committed to a 4 month study plan .... mistake?

shannonleapshannonleap Free Trial Member
in General 16 karma
Hello! I am planning to take the december LSAT and started studying really lightly -- about 5 hours a week in June and then ramped things up to studying full time at the end of August -- about 36 hours a week. I am signed up for a prep course with Blueprint, which will end in time for the December test. After reading 7Sage's discussion forums and general advice, i'm now having cold feet about the timeline of things -- will 4 months be enough time to prep if I am studying full time? I don't think a year timeline is quite realistic for me...

Any experience/advice would be so appreciated!

Comments

• desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    I think that should be enough time. The key is to take the LSAT when you are ready. If you are hitting your target by December that would be fine. If you are currently at 150 and your goal is 178 you may need more time. It depends on the individual. If you are studying full time I think you will do great. I have been studying about 15 hours a week since April and I am taking in September. I am more consistently scoring around my target so I feel very ready.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Completely depends on your target score, diagnostic, and whether you're committed more to your score or to applying this cycle. If you're aiming for 170+, I'd say you need to have scored in the 160's on your cold diagnostic for that to be realistic. Otherwise, I mean, anything's possible, but you're going to need to be way smarter than me at least.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Its all very personal on how you will do and your score goal. A great deal of people prepare for the test in 3 months or less, some achieving high scores, for many it take more time and thats it ok too. Its all dependent on your own abilities and dedication. Go in 100% and commit to your schedule.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited September 2016 23929 karma
    My experience is that for most people 4 months is not a sufficient amount of time to reach their potential. But like everyone else said, it all is relative to your goals, diagnostic, and how quickly you pick up on what you'll need to know for your weaknesses.

If your goal is to take in December, I would check out a 7Sage course or The LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim and follow a 12 Week Study Schedule. I think that will do more good than almost anything will for such a short amount of time.

Good luck :)

• shannonleapshannonleap Free Trial Member
    16 karma
    Thanks everyone, very helpful! I think considering my goal, i'll take your advice and probably move to the feb test!
  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma
    I have similar issue. only 10% on core course. however, I would not take Dec until I fall in 170s.
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    edited September 2016 652 karma
    For me, four months was plenty of time to go from 147 to 165. However, I ended up postponing because I felt like I could do better and improve much more over the next four months. It depends on what your weaknesses are, as well. If logic games are your lowest score, I would say you are in pretty good shape. Get the logic games Bible. It is responsible for my rapid Improvement on the logic games. Ultimately, a lot of people are going to try to tell you that it isn't enough time but only you truly know what you are capable of and what works for you. If you are a professional procrastinator, I would not recommend taking too long studying for the test. I studied about 25 hours a week for the LSAT and I know that that isn't your goal but it is easy to find ways to make it happen. If you are a kinesthetic learner, there are plenty of videos out there for you to watch as well. If you want to improve your reading comprehension, I recommend reading articles from The Economist and Business Insider. You can also watch shows like Criminal Minds and other Whodunnit type shows to get you thinking