Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comparative Passage Strategy

Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
edited September 2014 in Reading Comprehension 1049 karma
I like that JY recommends - answering questions that are just about passage A before even reading passage B (to prevent mixing up info in passages).

BUT - here's my question.... I encountered a Comparative Passage on a PT where there were NO questions just about A. There was at least 1 question on passage B....

In a case like that, should I read passage B first, answer the questions on B, then proceed with Passage A?

I tried it that way and it didn't go so well... but it could have been due to other factors.

Comments

• kellysmellykellysmelly Alum Member
    edited September 2014 84 karma
    I think it is best to really understand passage A and then use that information to compare and contrast to B (just as J-Y says in general reading comp):

For example, after understanding A ...when reading passage B ask:
    How is passage B related to passage A (general thrust): that is, is it merely more background to A, is it against or supporting A, is it tangential/supplemental information to A in one particular area presented in A, When reading ask if a particular statement or position presented in B in agreement/against A?, ect.
  • LeoFiro8LeoFiro8 Alum Member
    edited September 2014 244 karma
    I think regardless of what J.Y. said, students should read both passages, understand them both and then go about choosing the right answer choice. I don't think reading the other passage regardless of whether the question is towards that specific passage messes you up, if anything the "other" passage could help you be more clear about your answer choice coming from the other passage. Yeah when you already know what the answer is and are making a video explaining it, it's an easier call to say hey let's just not read the other passage because the question doesn't concern it, ( yes, after knowing what the answer already is) but in a test mode when your answering questions why wouldn't you utilize all the info presented to you to come up with the best answer instead of letting it confuse you.
  • FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    edited November 2017 561 karma

Bumping this. Half the points I lost on PT 82's RC section went to its comparative passage. For those who score high on RC, how do you handle comparative passages? Do you go about it the same as the rest? I'm almost considering going through all questions right after reading the first passage -- to knock off ACs for different questions where possible -- before hitting the second passage (akin to the Point @ Issue technique JY suggests for beginners in the CC).

This method would probably add 2 minutes plus change, but it'd make the balancing act less daunting and lead to the right answers more definitively. Thoughts?

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    1866 karma

Hey @FerdaFresh! I haven't done PT 82, but for comparative passages I strongly second what @kellysmelly wrote about keeping in mind how Passage A and Passage B are related to each other. Other then that, I usually go about it the same as I go about any other passage in RC.
    I suggest trying out both methods and seeing what works better for you, as RC strategy tends to vary by the individual.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@FerdaFresh
    I just do them like any other passages reading the passages first and then doing the questions. I try to keep in mind how they relate/ compare/ contrast when I read the second passage. I didn't miss any on on the RC section of the September test (PT 82).

I would worry a little that taking a break between the two sections to look at the questions could make it harder to effectively compare the two sections, but it could be worth a try.

561 karma

Thanks for the two cents guys!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

I go through all the questions after Passage A. You may not complete many or any questions all the way, but you can eliminate loads of wrong ACs with absolute confidence. On this first run through, I frequently eliminate 40% to 50% of all the ACs. Going through the questions again after reading Passage B, it provides an enormous advantage and I don't have to worry so much about tracking where the details are coming from.

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14022 karma

@"Cant Get Right" Yeah, this is the approach I think works best.

If you very high into the 170's, you might have the ability to simultaneously keep two different points of view separately clear in your mind. If you can do this, then read A, read B, do the questions. But, I find it very challenging to do that so I don't presume that others can.

In the 50's PT explanations where A/B passages first start appearing, you'll see me advocate all sorts of different approaches. They were new and I was trying to figure out how best to approach them. But in the 70's and into the 80's explanations, you'll see that I exclusively handle them by reading A, taking a pass at the answers, then read B and taking a second pass.

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

Wow! This approach definitely helps! Tried it on my first comparative passage using this strategy and let's just say I got 7/7 on the passage.

I couldn't be happier! Scored my highest on today's Timed RC section with 21/27.

Definitely recommend it to others! And thank you @FerdaFresh for bringing this post to my attention.

LIFE SAVER.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

@"J.Y. Ping" said:
    I find it very challenging to do that so I don't presume that others can.

Yeah, I'm definitely among the others who can't. I just don't have the mental capacity to track that level of complexity within the kind of time frame we're dealing with. So the easiest solution to me is to just remove the complexity. No reason to deal with an inherent limitation if you can circumnavigate it all together.

561 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    I'm definitely among the others who can't.

@"J.Y. Ping" said:
    I find it very challenging to do that so I don't presume that others can.

@jennybbbbb said:
    Definitely recommend it to others! And thank you @FerdaFresh for bringing this post to my attention.

LIFE SAVER.

These messages just made my day :) thank you all for the input!

• lsat 1101lsat 1101 Alum Member
    267 karma

Thank you to everyone for your advice and tips here!