Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vocab help?

MaxineSPMaxineSP Alum Member
in General 83 karma
I've noticed that I have been getting some questions wrong based on the vocabulary used in questions or answers. Does anyone know of a list of commonly used advanced vocab words that I can study? I just took PT19 and "erroneous" made me pick the wrong answer. Thanks! (I am a native english speaker, just neglected to learn SAT vocab in 11th grade)

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    "Preponderance" got me the other day. Not sure of any resources for this:/
  • draj0623draj0623 Alum Member
    916 karma
    I think the 7Sage core curriculum has some vocabulary exercises designed to help you remember certain words (in the form of digital flashcards) that show up on the reading comprehension passages. I developed my own list based on all of the passages I've read. I included words outside of reading comprehension passages used in Economist articles just in case. I think it's generally good practice to keep track of words that have stumped you in the past. Not everyone struggles with the same set of words so I would encourage you to keep track of those words you've encountered that go above and beyond what the core curriculum offers.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @draj0623 Excellent ideas for keeping track of vocab!
    27809 karma
    If you've got a Kindle, it actually keeps a running list of any word you ever look up. So if you read Economist or something and run across a word, you can look it up just by clicking on it, and it automatically adds it to your list. Got to love technology!
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    Do they have that same technology for my flip phone? (heheheheheheeeeeeeee)
    27809 karma
    Lol, no @desire2learn , but Snake is legit!
  • MaxineSPMaxineSP Alum Member
    83 karma
    I wish I had started keeping track sooner! I am testing on Saturday!
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    Preponderance" got me the other day.
    Preponderance got me the other day too. :DDD lol
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    I've been thrown off by "pedagogical": related to teaching or teachers and the word "tantamount": equivalent, same as
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    edited September 2016 2086 karma
    I ran into the same problem. It drove me insane. Here's what I did:
    1) Took a few of the 50+ PTs (vocab has changed slightly since the earlier PTs).
    2) BRed them and "finished" with them.
    3) Spent an entire day reading the question stems for all of the sections and skimming the RC passages. I wrote down a list of words that threw me off, looked them up, and kept the list. I'll refer back to the list every once in awhile to remind myself of what the words mean. You can do this for every PT, as it doesn't take up a ton of time.
    27809 karma
    @Motivated said:
    Preponderance got me the other day too. :DDD lol
    Glad I'm not alone!
    27809 karma
    Great idea @MrSamIam . Wish I'd done that:/ I guess at this point I've just got to hope it won't be an issue. If they throw me "preponderance" I'll be ready though, lol.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    Crazy but I bet I know what presuppose means now!! I felt a little slow sfter looking up the definition. It's easy to get bogged down on everything and overthink making everything much harder than necessary. I'm sure that's how it's designed though.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" haha you should be fine. Just review the definition of preponderance a few hundred more times. You know, just in case :)
    27809 karma
    Yeah @MrSamIam , I've looked it up in dozens of different dictionaries and hand copied the full definition from each one into my diary, haha.