Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice for improving speed on actual test!

gballgball Member
in General 7 karma
So my timed PTs are much higher than what I got on the actual test, and I'm at almost 100% accuracy untimed. Do any of y'all have some quick tips and tricks on going just a little faster (mostly logic games), or just how to replicate PT scores on the actual day?

Comments

• dreamlawschooldreamlawschool Alum Member
    139 karma
    @gball I have this same problem, notably with games and reading comp. Although I absolutely hate going out of order, someone very recently suggested taking a quick glance at all the games first, and trying to do all the simpler format ones first (eg straight forward sequencing) and saving the more time consuming ones (eg double layer sequencing or hybrid games) for the end. I'm going to try this out tonight on my next PT to see if it actually makes a difference.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Believe in yourself! Literally. I used to waste a ton of time on questions where I felt that I owed it to myself to give each answer choice a fair shot. Eventually, I realized that if I'm pretty much 100% sure that an AC is correct, I need to choose it and only give the rest of the choices a quick glance.
    For LG, once you've chosen the correct answer, move on. Don't bother testing the rest if you're 100% sure about your AC. If it's a particularly difficult question, don't spend minutes spinning your wheels, pick the best AC and move on.
    Both of the aforementioned apply to RC.
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    I recommend you be a little bit reckless with skipping. Be confident in what you know and dont know. Every test or retake can expose a weakness that you can work on.
  • DallasOnFireDallasOnFire Member
    edited September 2016 249 karma
    Real speed only comes with comfort with the material. The only exception to this is the strategic ability to ply yourself away from a question in the form of skipping.

Rather than apply some new framework to how you take the test and potentially decreasing your score, I think the only change you should make is to skip a question if it takes longer than a ~minute and come back when you're done with everything else.