Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When to use in/out game board and when to use double layer grouping game board? (LG)

strasvery-deletedstrasvery-deleted Free Trial Member
in General 161 karma
Just as the title says...
Is there anything suggests which to use in reading the stimulus?

Thanks

Comments

• zanqvi861zanqvi861 Alum Member
    73 karma
    Here is a discussion that may help:

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/112

I've found looking to a) rules and b) standard acceptable situation questions helps too.

So with rules, in double layer sq games you'll generally have some sort of order mentioned in the stimulus, (e.g. days of the week)
    You also will explicitly or non-explicitly be given two sets of variables. Explicitly would be something like two shifts per day, a.m. and p.m. While non explicit could say items on Thursday and Friday are not recorded. This would lead you to making a double layer making sure that you put /R on top of the Thursday and Friday slot.

If you are given a standard acceptable situation question, (generally the first question in the game) a double layer sq game might look like this in an answer choice:

a.m.: _ _ _ _ _
    p.m.: _ _ _ _ _

an in/out game standard acceptable situation question Could look similar, but you'll generally notice it is groups they are talking about. And a lot of in/out games will say in their first question here's group 1, can X,Y, Z be in group 1 or not?

In out games also generally have not both rules ( A --> /B) which are NOT present in dbl layer sq games.

Lastly, the more you practice that more easily you'll be able to distinguish between groups and two sets of variables. Literally most of the games on the LSAT are repeated versions of each other (besides the wacky curve ball ones).

Hope this helps somewhat!

• strasvery-deletedstrasvery-deleted Free Trial Member
    161 karma
    This helps A LOT! Thank you so much!
    73 karma
    Happy to help! :D
  • Tina ChoTina Cho Free Trial Member
    442 karma
    @zanqvi861

Hi, srry to jump in, but when you say " two sets of variables" and "groups," what's the difference?
    Aren't " two sets of variables" also "2 groups"?
    Or do you mean...for grouping game, it not necessarily 2?
    But "double layer" mean you can treat such as am and pm as "two sets of variables" right? I mena maybe you can treat am as In and pm as Out...
    Whats the difference??
    edited September 2016 73 karma
    Hey!

So lemme give a second shot at this. I think the term variables was a bit vague. In an in/out grouping game, you'll probably be given only one set of game pieces, suppose it's people and they can tell you:

a) you have two committees, plants and trails, and each committee has three people in it. So you would have to distribute those people (game pieces) into these committees (groups) according to the rules.

b) they can say we have these 7 singers (game pieces) and we are going to select 5. So the 5 will be in the in-group.

In this sense it is only one set of game pieces that you are distributing into an in and out group.

I get where the confusion comes in. With a.m. and p.m. you could also conceivably think of them as groups, with the only one set of game pieces (e.g. teachers Q, X, V, Z) given to be distributed in the a.m. and p.m. slot. The only thing I can say is if only a.m. and p.m. is given it will generally always be a dbl layer sq game.

So dbl layer sq games can also be of two types.

One is where they will say you have nurses: X, Y, Z and doctors: A, B, C all working from Monday to Wednesday. You have one doctor and one nurse working every day, so that's your two sets of distinct game pieces there.

OR you can have one set of game pieces as with some a.m. and p.m games. Another example is you have one editor and one publisher each going through one variable set that is books: D, E, F. In these types of games you will always have sequencing rules, and an order given in the stimulus and rules. For e.g. They can say the publisher edits D before the editor edits F. So you will Know that the editor and publisher are not groups. In a pure in/out grouping game there is no sequence or order. There are hybrids that are becoming common but once you master in out and dbl layer sq you will understand the hybrids easily.

By two sets of variables what I meant was even is if you have only one set of game pieces, you can treat them as two sets of variables based on whether they they end in the bottom sq row or the top one. But that was a rather unclear way to put it!

Let me know if this makes it more clear!