Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you Cook or Buy?

strasvery-deletedstrasvery-deleted Free Trial Member
edited September 2016 in General 161 karma
Hi

So this may be a weird question, but do you cook? or buy?
I think I read somewhere, food is also important, but go shopping, cooking, and washing dishes kind of take time...which is good for studying? Saving time or nutrition?

Thanks

Comments

• Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    I cook in bulk like 2 to 3 times a week.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    It depends on what's available. I think it's important to eat healthy, both generally and for the LSAT specifically, so I think that's the main thing. All that's really available to me is fast food, so I cook basically everything I eat. Lean proteins, vegetables, fruit, carbs, all in balance. You know, the pyramid thing. Actually, I don't think it's the pyramid anymore. I think it's circles now.
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    I don't think it needs to be a binary choice. Plus, if you're worried about cooking/washing dishes taking you away from studying then you need an LSAT break.

Kidding aside, just focus on making healthy choices and do what's best for you. You wouldn't put cheap gas into a Ferrari..treat your body the same way
  • strasvery-deletedstrasvery-deleted Free Trial Member
    161 karma
    I see...I think I will cook then, and maybe fore the test day, for a few weeks I will get outside.

Thanks!
    1762 karma
    @strasvery said:
    for a few weeks I will get outside.
    @"Ron Swanson" said:
    Plus, if you're worried about cooking/washing dishes taking you away from studying then you need an LSAT break.
    lol you guys kill me.
  • draj0623draj0623 Alum Member
    916 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    You know, the pyramid thing. Actually, I don't think it's the pyramid anymore. I think it's circles now.
    CRAP. I'm not familiar with the circles. Guaranteed LSAT LR question on this or a reading comp. This is my basic response to anything I'm not familiar with in life.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    I think making food at home more than buying out is far superior for 3 reasons:
    1. If I buy food that means I have to take a good chunk out of my study time just to get the food, wait in line, pay for the food, come back to where I was studying, then begin eating, then eventually return to studying. It's a long unnecessary process so I like @nanchito suggestion of cooking in bulk. I reserve Sundays for cooking enough for 3-5 lunches and 3-5 dinners. Second reason why I prefer this is because it saves money and the third being it helps prevent bad foods to enter my system which is a never good idea especially for LSAT studying lol. So although you say cooking will be time consuming, its pros outweigh the cons.
  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma
    I cook sometimes. But I have a part-time job. I often call delivery and there's app called Munchery. They offer cheap and healthy food.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @strasvery said:
    I outsourced it...

I did a meal prep service last year and now might do again. Check out your local market to see what there is around. I found a local guy that usually does food for all of the body builders in the Valley, so prices are MUCH cheaper than normal meal prep service. Chicken is $2, Sides are $1-$3.

If you follow macros or specific food measurements they usually do that for free with your portions. In my market its about $2-3 for breakfast items, $3-6 for lunch dinner, so on average about $15 a day with snacks. That might be crazy expensive for some people, or dirt cheap for others. I always forget to eat, so for me it was worth it, and much cheaper than other options.

Its all fresh, organic stuff too, all portioned out into containers and cooked so it takes a min to reheat in a microwave.

Cooking in bulk is far cheaper.
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma
    I cook in bulk on the weekend (takes at most two hours from washing/shopping), then I make portions and put it in containers that I can just grab and take with me to work, and then I freeze them. Every day or evening, I just grab one and microwave the food. I have a microwave at work. For days I am off and I need to go to library, I make a salad or a sandwich the night before and put in the fridge. Ready to just grab and take with me.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @strasvery said:
    Grubhub (Seamless) (almost) every night of my life. I hate cooking and think it is a complete waste of time and energy. I live in a big city and the time it takes to shop, cook, clean, etc. I don't have the time.

I get the same few healthy options every time I order.

For lunch, I go to Whole Foods and get a salad and whatever pre-made stuff looks good. They usually have some great, healthy options. Sometimes I'll even grab stuff for dinner here that is premade so I don't have to worry about cooking/ordering out later.

• LSATman1LSATman1 Alum Member
    386 karma
    I cook a large meal on Sundays and have leftovers throughout the week. You could cook several large meals at once and freeze leftovers for later.
  • LSATman1LSATman1 Alum Member
    386 karma
    I highly recommend using a crock pot too. Basically, you toss all the ingredients in the pot, turn it on and let it cook for a few hours.
    edited September 2016 1762 karma
    Additionally. Do you know what you can do with oatmeal? different fruits/berries, different nuts. You wont get bored. My sig oatmeal concoction is half a banana, brown sugar, vanilla extract, walnuts and like half a tsp of coco powder. Grab a little container like this (I have the purple one). And put hot water in it at home/work and it cooks in a few mins... you're goodie.

http://www.containerstore.com/catalogimages/181658/10062438SoupMugToGo22.1oz_x.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&align=center
  • strasvery-deletedstrasvery-deleted Free Trial Member
    161 karma
    Thank you all,
    I'm glad to have so many responses and see how others eat...
    I guess I'm gonna cook for a while and maybe when I feel it's too much work or before the test, I will just order/ask delivevry...

@nanchito The bottles are so cute lol
  • SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
    1278 karma
    I live at home so I get homecooked meals all the time. However, when I didn't live at home I always cooked unless I was going to lunch/dinner with friends. It's cheaper and healthier to cook.

I think for LSAT prep maximization purposes, cooking is the best route!
  • tofuspeedstartofuspeedstar Alum Member
    139 karma
    I just go to chipotle when I'm feeling lazy (85% of the time)
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    I cook, but I love to cook.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Nutrition certainly plays a role in cognitive function (at least, in my opinion it does). I prefer cooking for various reasons. The most obvious being that I know EXACTLY what is going into my food. I also love taking a little break from the LSAT - cooking is one way of doing so.
    You could cook, eat, and clean during your breaks. You're not studying for 14 hours straight, use your breaks to do something productive, but not mentally taxing.