Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If I can only finish 3 passages out of 4, which ones to choose?

Tina ChoTina Cho Free Trial Member
edited September 2016 in General 442 karma
Hi,

I read slow and I don't think I can finish all of the passages within the time.
If I try to read all of them I rush through reading passages and not fully understand what it's talking about and miss questions.
So I'm thinking whether I should only do 3 passages and try to answer all questions correctly...
In this case, is there any way I know which ones to read? How to decide which one to read? For the one I do not read, I will jsut randomly put answers I guess...
Which is actually more efficient to get more points?

Thank you

Comments

• leejayleeleejaylee Alum Member
    218 karma
    1) Quickly skim (max 30 seconds) each passage and pick 3 you like the most.
    2) Pick the 3 that has the most questions in total.

3) Find another method that helps you finish all 4 passages =)
    I Hope you still guess the ones that you don't finish too!
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    I think it's definitely most important to get yourself to the level of being able to complete each passage. It takes time and practice, but you'll eventually get there.

In the meantime, I like @leejaylee's idea of picking the 3 passages with the most questions, with the caveat that 1 of your 3 is the first passage. I have found that the first passage is a little more of a warm up, but this could vary depending on who you ask.

If timing is your issue, it's all about maximizing your "return on investment" for the reading you do put in. There's usually a passage with 5 questions, so depending on your guessing luck the damage from this 3/4 strategy may not be that bad.

Remember though, this strategy is a temporary fix and you definitely should work your way up to completing all 4 passages.
  • Tina ChoTina Cho Free Trial Member
    442 karma
    thank you both,

@"Ron Swanson"
    Can I ask what kind of practice I can do? And how long would it take to improve?
    I need to slow down to fully understand what the passages are talking about...are you talking about speed reading? I know subvocalization hinders speed too, but it's also hard not to do that without impairing the understanding...