Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help on how to effectivly Highlight, Underline, & Take Notes?

ShownuffShownuff Alum Member
I've never been a good note taker or for that matter known what to do with a highlighter, so I'm reaching out to you guys/gals to see if those of you better at this than I am could lend a hand? Sharing any techniques, or methods is more than welcome. In other words, I'd like to hear your personal style of doing things (i.e. color coordinating, brackets, etc.) in hopes that I could incorporate it into my own mode of attacking reading comprehension. Thanks everyone!

Comments

• DallasOnFireDallasOnFire Member
    249 karma
    The best technique in RC is the one that works for you. RC is the one section that is most heavily tilted towards personal preference. In LG there might be one or two ways to solve a game that I could tell you, but I hesitate to share a note taking method with someone who traditionally doesn't note take.

Don't feel obligated to do it if it wastes your time. If you want to try it just to see if it will help, I suggest circling anything you identify as the Author's Attitude on something and drawing lines when a statement supports (or opposes) another idea in the passages. Keep it minimal lest you waste your time highlighting instead of answer questions.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    Yeah, this is definitely something that everyone has to find what works best for them. And it's also totally okay if you don't notate if that works for you. Different strokes, as they say. JY hardly marks his passages at all. I annotate everything I read. If I'm reading Harry Potter (I am), I do it with a pencil. So you've just got to find your sweet spot. Whatever you do though, do it deliberately and consistently. If you do want to use annotations, it'll take working through a lot of RC sections before you learn to employ it consistently, effectively, and naturally; so stick with it. Once you develop it, it can really up your RC game. I use a modified version of Nicole's system. If you're not used to notating but want to start, it might be a good starting point:
    I've always just kind of marked whatever I felt however I felt it before. This doesn't really work for RC. Developing a specific strategy really helped me; and by adding the Memory Method to that, I saw significant increase in my performance.
  • ShownuffShownuff Alum Member
    222 karma
    Thank you two for taking the time to lend a hand. Since I feel the need to form a system specifically for RC, I intend on coming up with something simple through dutiful RC practice. I still haven't figured what helps and what's wasting, but I hope to get there sooner than later.