Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

December LSAT? Possible??

Katherine-2Katherine-2 Member
in General 97 karma
I always thought Sep Lsat was the last chance for anyone applying for the 2017 fall. But discussions here seem to suggest that I can still take Dec one and use that score?? Does that mean I'll be the last round of applicants and have a low shot of getting accepted by the admission board?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Most schools will accept December scores for the upcoming cycle (Fall, '17). In fact, I can't think of a single school that wouldn't (if anyone can, please post here).
    Some schools will even accept the February exam for admission towards Fall, 2017.
  • Katherine-2Katherine-2 Member
    97 karma
    @MrSamIam i know they will accept the score but wouldn't that slow my application process and i'll only be considered in a later cycle and have a much lower chance? with sep score, i'll be in the earliest round. I consistently heard seniors talking about how much they regret they didn't apply earlier cause people apply earlier with even lower grades than theirs got accepted while they got waitlisted because they apply in late November or December.
  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma
    be full prepared before test. it's hard for international students to prepare LSAT. It may take longer than we expected.
  • etphonehomeetphonehome Alum Member
    48 karma
    I was wondering about the chances of getting in as well (with the later dates).
  • Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    edited September 2016 2301 karma
    Based on what I have been told, there is an advantage to applying early, but it is far less important than it used to be because applications are down. I know several people who got into great schools with a December score. As long as your stats are competitive, I think you have a good shot with a December score. Good luck! @"Katherine-2" I am really sorry about your test center experience. I hope this makes you feel better! I am rooting for you.
  • Katherine-2Katherine-2 Member
    97 karma
    @Daniel.Sieradzki thank you so much for your support. It's so frustrating that i'm actually thinking about giving up applying law school (law school is tough and expensive, it just seems unworthy to spend 3 years in a not so good school). By submitting Dec score, do you mean to submit the whole application in late Dec or start application in early cycle but just add Dec score when the result comes out?
  • Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    edited September 2016 2301 karma
    @"Katherine-2" You are very welcome. Good question. Both options would work. You can submit the application without a score, but it will not actually go complete until the December LSAT score is added. Thus, I am not sure if there is much of a difference between both options. I think submitting first then getting a score might put you slightly ahead of someone who waits until the score comes out before submitting. This is because you are higher up on the pile. However, I am not sure. Does anyone else know for sure?
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    All Schools accept December and most schools accept Feb. For the 2017, Stanford, NYU & Columbia will take if you email (typically by Jan 1). Harvard will also take a Feb, but "doesn't guarantee consideration". Yale will accept Feb without anything.

So Most... actually... Almost all schools accept Feb without conditions. So December is absolutely not too late. Evan last year UChicago said it would accept a June LSAT and application if it is compelling for a Fall 2016.

The market is still very pro student, but the tides will more than likely shift in the next few years.
  • mgmwarrenmgmwarren Member
    22 karma
    @Katherine-2 Yes, they'll take your score. BUT schools will have fewer spots in their 2017 class when your score shows up in January than they would in October (when you'd get the September score).
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    Kinda off subject but a school I'm interesting in states on their website that their review begins in January. They start accepting apps 10/1. Think there's any truth in that? Seems like they would start a lot sooner than January to me. Why wouldn't they start reviewing the completed apps that they have?
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @tanes256 said:
    Why wouldn't they start reviewing the completed apps that they have?
    I think this an adjustment to the current climate, they do review BUT they aren't accepting or wait listing people until after application deadlines pass. I thought it was very interesting to read on NYU, which is an example of this, that they specifically state they do rolling notification NOT rolling admissions.

"As long as candidates take the LSAT by December and meet the February 15 deadline by having all materials received by the Office of Admissions, they will be given full and complete consideration and will be at no competitive disadvantage in the admissions process."

They also say you can email them for permission to use the Feb LSAT, but do warn you might be at a disadvantage, but they clearly state that applying in Feb by the deadline will NOT put a candidate at a disadvantage. http://www.law.nyu.edu/jdadmissions/applicants/admissionsinformationandinstructions

A few schools also say similar things. I think good students, are often retesting or waiting to apply until they have the score they need and schools are adjusting to this.
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    A lot of people have it it on the head. Also, it depends on the school. If you meet their criteria, you will be fine. If you get a 160 and apply to a school that has a median of 158, you will be fine. Scholarship money may change but even a school like Michigan State gives scholarships up until February
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    I see! Thx for that @stepharizona