Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How did JY choose which (PT) questions to use for supplementing core explanations?

AliceZ6v6AliceZ6v6 Alum Member
in General 92 karma
Did he choose them based on frequencies?
Such as...topics appear a lot in LSAT or if it is RC, structure (how arguments go on) appears a lot, if it is LR, frequently used flaw etc...??
Or did he just choose them randomly?
Just wondering!

Thanks,

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    I would suspect it was based on how clearly and simply they demonstrate the concept under consideration. So with the SA lessons, for example, I think the questions used are very straight forward and provide examples of very concise usage of the idea of sufficiency.
  • AliceZ6v6AliceZ6v6 Alum Member
    92 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" Thanks :)
    I wish there was structure templates for RC...I see there's a lesson for science, but not for other genre right? I'm weak at humanity passages.
    have you listened to all lectures? Or just the ones you are interested in?
    Not sure how to follow the lessons...
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    I think structure templates would be counter productive. Being able to recognize structure on the fly is a big part of RC success, and templates would provide the structure for you, thus removing the task from your consideration.

The lessons for science passages are meant to address issues that are peculiar to science, such as the scientific method. In the humanities, there isn't really any equivalent to that.

Follow the lessons sequentially. It's not a section that provides an inherent order quite like LG and LR. RC just can't be broken down like the others can. It's much more a matter of practice, exposure, and experience. The order matters much less, although I'm sure JY has ordered it in a way that he considers most beneficial. So, stick with that unless you have compelling circumstances to suggest that a deviation would be better.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" This.
    Most of J.Y.s methods will work on every question of the type they were designed for. However, many times they work better on some questions, as opposed to others of that type.
    You'll also notice that he's able to clearly demonstrate the concepts using the questions that he choses.
  • AliceZ6v6AliceZ6v6 Alum Member
    92 karma
    Thanks for your replies :)
    Btw sometimes I overthink answer choices...when do you know you can stop?
    Too often I think too much...like "maybe this implies this? Mabe this choice miss that possibility" etc and when I read/listen to other's explanations I found it's really straightforward and simple sometimes...
  • Swift777Swift777 Member
    edited October 2016 83 karma
    Oftentimes, the wrong answers can be eliminated due to one of very few reasons:
    1) They are unrelated to the stimulus (go beyond the scope of the text)
    2) They are unrelated to the reasoning issues (needs to point to the exact flaw between support and conclusion)
    3) They misrepresent the conclusion or the support
    4) They don't satisfy the exact task that the question stem asks you to do

It comes with careful reading and deliberate, painstaking practice and experience to carefully eliminate answers with absolute justifications like those above. You will develop a subtle distinction between reasonable inferences based on the stimulus and conjectures (personal assumptions) that are not warranted after you do tons of questions and review explanations.