Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raising GPA

lmekahellmekahel Alum Member
edited October 2016 in Law School Admissions 161 karma
Hi,
My question is regarding my GPA and how it looks for law schools. My GPA is really low right now its a 3.56 Poli Sci major and Minor in Environmental Studied. I was hoping to take extra classes to boost my GPA and was wondering how that would look for law schools. In addition, I was wondering if it looks better to take the courses at my University than at the extension school of the University or at a local community college.
Since attending classes at my actual university is really expensive I was hoping to take extra classes at the extension school or at a community college, but I was thinking that Law schools might look down on that. I attended university straight out of high school and the GE's during my freshman and sophomore year of college really killed me. I was wondering what was the best recommendation.
In addition, I am able to graduate earlier than expected this year, during winter quarter, and was thinking of taking extra classes for spring, summer session 1 and summer session 2 to hopefully get my GPA higher.
I'm planning to take a year off after graduating to apply for Law school. I'm taking my LSATs in February and possibly June if the February score isn't where I want it to be.
I'm trying to get my application as competitive as possible and hoping to get advice.

Thanks!

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @lmekahel said:
    My GPA is really low right now its a 3.56
    I wouldn't call that a "really low" GPA, unless it's below a law school's 25th percentile which even if it is, I don't think it's drastic.
    @lmekahel said:
    I was hoping to take extra classes to boost my GPA and was wondering how that would look for law schools.
    I recommend this, and I don't think law schools have a reason to look down upon it.
    @lmekahel said:
    In addition, I was wondering if it looks better to take the courses at my University than at the extension school of the University or at a local community college.
    Either is fine, although taking at an accredited University as opposed to a community college would look better for obvious reasons.
    @lmekahel said:
    I was wondering what was the best recommendation.
    Now you just move on with what you have. Since you're still in undergrad, I highly encourage you to ask professors to write up a letter of recommendation for you. The general rule of thumb is to have 2 academic letters on your account. So try to seek this from professors that you got a good grade in their class and have a good recollect of who you are. If you're struggling with the latter portion (as most people do), then simply ask to meet up during office hours and explain your situation and provide info to who you are so they have something solid to write :)
    @lmekahel said:
    I'm planning to take a year off after graduating to apply for Law school. I'm taking my LSATs in February and possibly June if the February score isn't where I want it to be.
    You're on a good path but I would maybe advise against taking your first LSAT in February, reason being is the February LSAT is nondisclosed. You won't have access to the test when scores are released like all the other LSATs so if you need to retake, you won't have a good grasp on what area(s) you struggled in and need to focus on more during your prep for the next test. The Feb. LSAT is more often than not the LSAT for those who either decide last minute they want to apply for that same cycle, or need a quick retake before the cycle is over. You aren't in that boat so you should look for June to be a good aim for taking the LSAT. If you need to retake after June, taking in September (even December) won't put you at a disadvantage so no worries!
    @lmekahel said:
    I'm trying to get my application as competitive as possible
    You're ahead of the game which is an awesome start!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Yeah @montaha.rizeq 's advice seems solid. A 3.56 isn't low per say, but I guess it is all relative to where you apply.

I would certainly do everything in my power to raise it up and worry about the LSAT at a later time. You can always study for the LSAT, but you only have until you get your first degree to raise your GPA.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Yeah, do whatever you can to raise that. As far as where you take those classes, law schools won't care except as far as it affects your GPA. So as long as the cheaper classes apply to your GPA, I say go for those.
  • lmekahellmekahel Alum Member
    161 karma