Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how to time myself if I dont use 7sage timer

chinobonitochinobonito Member
edited September 2014 in General 105 karma
7Sage timer shows error and stops itself sometimes without my knowledge while I am taking a PT, which throws off my time completely. How would you recommend me to time myself with using an analog watch or another timer? For example, when should I give myself a break? After the section 2? Should I account for the essay part? 7Sage PTs are all 4 sections with an essay, unlike the real test, which would have 5 sections...what should I do about that since I only have access to 4 sections PTs... such as what should I do with timing myself with breaks for 4 sections?

Also, I remember there was a previous discussion on whether if it's ok to bring in 3 analog watches in the test room, and set them all to 12, and press start each time the section starts. Is this ok, or LSAC only allows one watch?

Comments

• joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    802 karma
    First, I'd figure out the error in the timer. You should ONLY takes timed PTs. Anything else won't come close to test day pressure. I think you should try to download the proctor video if the app isn't working. I use the 4 section proctor video every time and split screen it with a video I got from YouTube that plays noise from a library... papers shuffling, announcements, people whispering, computers clicking etc. Works like a champ. Also, since you asked, the break is after the 3rd section and the essay is last. So, S1 S2 S3 Break S4 S5 Essay end.

I'm not concerned with my stamina, though if you are, you can grab old game sections, preferably ones with weird games since that's a recent trend and make that your 5th section.

I've not met anyone who practices the essay. I never even thought of practicing it. Does anyone else here do this? Maybe I should start.

Regarding watches: I practice with one sitting on my desk and have from the start. I intend to have it with me on test day too. I don't usually need it, but it's like a security blanket. It keeps me safe. When the section ends, I pull out the crown and turn it back to my start number and push it in when the proctor says begin. I check it again at the 5 minute announcement to make sure I have not lost time. I also check at questions 5, 10, 17, and 21.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    I don't use the 7sage timer... I use an analog wrist watch and I don't cheat.. its just as good... probably better as your guide on test day will be your watch. Proctor instructions typically vary by a few seconds so it will not be much of an issue.
  • Allison MAllison M Alum Member Inactive Sage
    edited September 2014 810 karma
    Are you using the app, or streaming the proctor video in the PrepTest Tools section of the website? I had a lot of problems with the streaming video, but the proctor app works like a charm. It also has options for playing background noise and distractions. If you can, give it a shot before resorting to other measures!

ETA: Also, make sure that you're keeping track of time using the watch that you'll use on test day.
  • psbrathwaitepsbrathwaite Member
    207 karma
    Do they call " you have 5 minutes remaining " on test day?
  • Allison MAllison M Alum Member Inactive Sage
    810 karma
    They're supposed to.
  • DrackedaryDrackedary Member
    239 karma
    @Chinobonito

Others have already touched on your question about a timer. So, I'll make a suggestions regarding the other issues you mentioned.

The LSAT gives you a break after the fourth section. After a 15 minute break, you will finish the fifth section and the essay.

In other words, do not take a break when you are only working with four sections at a time. Remember, you're not only trying to build your skills. You also want to train your mental endurance. Going four sections straight is the only way to do so.

Ideally, you would buy a book full of PTs from LSAC and use it primarily as a section five farm to really simulate actual test conditions.