Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you listen to all of JY's explanations?

AliceZ6v6AliceZ6v6 Alum Member
in General 92 karma
Hi,
For those who are in any 7sage courses, do you listen to all of his PT explanations?
(I mean PT you have done)
Or just questions you were not sure or got wrong?
I'm just wondering how other people use the explanations and resources.
Thanks!

Comments

• desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    Depends on where you are at in your studying. The earlier you are the more I would watch. The later you go you just want to focus on the ones you are not sure about (although I also usually watch all the 4 and 5 star questions just to make sure I did not get something right for the wrong reason). DEFINITELY all of the games though.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @desire2learn said:
    although I also usually watch all the 4 and 5 star questions just to make sure I did not get something right for the wrong reason). DEFINITELY all of the games though.
    Yes yes yes.
  • AliceZ6v6AliceZ6v6 Alum Member
    92 karma
    Hi,
    question...how do you know the question is 4 and 5 stars?
    Where does it say??
    And what about RC?
    Do you listen to his explanations for each passage?
    I do not want to miss anything, but at the same time I would like to spend time efficiently...and not sure which is better, listen to all of them or just the ones I'm not sure.
  • blah blahblah blah Alum Member
    edited October 2016 111 karma
    I set the speed at 1.7x. During my PT reviews, usually the first half of the explanation kind of sets off a lightbulb with respect to what i failed to consider/think/process. Also I do try to keep in mind questions that weren't necessarily hard but should've taken me less time, even if I got them right. In these sort of cases I'm generally paying more attention to the process of elimination that didn't go quickly enough during testing for my liking.

Though when I run into J.Wang's explanations, I set it back to 1x. That guy talks really fast.
    edited October 2016 92 karma
    Speeding up would def. help to save time...1.7 is too fast for me but I guess I may wanna try smt like 1.4.
    Btw who is J.Wang? I thought all explanations are from J.Y...(wait, they are different instructors right?)
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    When you score a PT the difficulty of the questions is listed beside them. The difficulty is also found under the "explanations" section of 7sage
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @coconutsberries said:
    (wait, they are different instructors right?)
    @"Jonathan Wang" is also an instructor! He did some of the older videos. J.Y. does all of the newer ones and the updated explanations.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    I usually listen to anyones I get wrong or ones I circled and wasn't 100% sure on. Time consuming as hell, but I'd rather spend the extra hour now and feel bullet proof come game day.

For LG, I usually listen to everything just to see if there was a faster way to do it.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    I use them to confirm my reasoning. Just make sure you're not using them as a substitute for for doing the work of acquiring understanding for yourself. Forcing myself to figure out questions I was struggling with was the most productive studying I ever did. The more you struggle, the more important it becomes to crack open.

Viewing the videos after you feel like you've arrived at full understanding is a great practice to confirm your reasoning. Viewing videos before you arrive at understanding is an admission of defeat.
    92 karma
    @"Cant Get Right"
    What i f I could not figure out the correct reasoning even though I spend for a couple of hours? :(
    Can I watch the explanation or should I have some reasoning before I listen to the video?
    27809 karma
    I spent a whole day on a single question once. I really take it personally when I can't tackle something and I grow increasingly stubborn, lol. The thing that's so frustrating is that they provide us with all of the information we need to answer the question. So you're telling me you're giving me all the information I need to answer the question and I still can't answer the question!? Aww hell no.

So this was really infuriating and impractical at first, lol. But after not very long of insisting on understanding everything with complete and absolute clarity, it stopped happening. Really it's just that the process made me stronger, but it kinda felt like the LSAT just gave up. And that's a beautiful feeling.

It is important to note though that there is a point where we must acknowledge that we lack a fundamental ability that may be necessary to conquer a question. So, for example, if you don't understand conditional reasoning, there's no amount of brute-force perseverance that will allow you to overcome that lack of knowledge. It just doesn't work that way. But just because we are unable to answer a question doesn't mean we are forced to give up. Did Luke Skywalker give up just because he wasn't a Jedi yet? Hell no. He got his ass to Degoba and learned what he needed to learn in order to finish the job (Okay, okay, I know he left before completing his training, but I'm committed to this metaphor, however flawed, so, shut up.) Luckily, we've got our own Jedimaster Yoda (y'all know what the J.Y. stands for, right?) So when a question beats you, complete your training. If you need JY, and we all do, go to Degoba (the curriculum) before you look at the explanation. Do everything you can to achieve understanding before giving up.

There is a time to admit defeat, just don't go quietly.
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    There was a similar discussion of this a while back, here: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/comment/52777. I weighed in there. Short version - if you're not, you should be.
    @"Dillon A. Wright" said:
    @"Jonathan Wang" is also an instructor!
    No, I am Batman.
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    Degoba
    Dagobah. Nerd license revoked.
    edited October 2016 92 karma
    lol
    Thank you all for the advice!

@"Jonathan Wang"
    I think what I wanted to ask before was about the official explanation and this time is about JY's explanation, but thanks :)

Glad to hear from the instructor himself!

27809 karma
    @"Jonathan Wang" said:
    Dagobah. Nerd license revoked.
    I feel like such a fool:/
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    @coconutsberries Silly me, I had no idea you were the originator of that thread too. Perhaps I'd better explain myself a little bit more:

Whatever explanations you trust, whether they be official or not (in the previous post I had a sample hierarchy set to official -> 7Sage -> LSAT Hacks -> Manhattan Forums), you should theoretically be reading everything so that you can have the widest possible view of what's going on. Listening to video explanations obviously takes more time, but I see that as a feature rather than a bug - it forces you to engage with the question again and pay attention to how the instructor walks through it, and if you're comparing that to your own process and seriously trying to extract value then there's no way that you should ever get bored or impatient. Whether you use multiple sources for the same question or not, you should utilize whatever you decide to use to the maximum extent possible.

Heck, sometimes I go listen to JY's explanation or read Graeme's explanation of a thorny question just for another angle on it, and I've been doing this for a lot longer than you. If I can learn something new even from a question I already know how to do, then anyone can. Spend the time and you will be rewarded.

@"Cant Get Right" Yeah, that's right. Shame! Shameeeeee! ;)
    27809 karma
    92 karma
    @"Jonathan Wang
    Gotcha :)
    Thanks for your advice!
    Although it takes time, I do also find I learn a lot by comparing different explanations.
    I'll continue to do that too. :)