Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much should I distract myself when taking PTs?

Tinyosi1Tinyosi1 Alum Member
in General 235 karma
Recently I have been using the 7Sage app for proctoring my PTs and would like to know what some people consider the best method of using the distraction/background noise feature?

I am probably just overthinking this, but I keep it anywhere from 2-4 on each and I am wondering if I should go higher or lower? I don't have experience with taking an actual LSAT, but even those levels almost seem comical to me in terms of how much noise is constantly going on, especially since it is right next to me. Should I keep it at these levels and move it further away? Should I turn it up? I would love to use this feature effectively but sometimes it feels silly. Additionally, would it benefit me to take a few in pretty much complete silence? I am worried that if I train myself to be used to all of the noise then I will feel thrown off if everything is silent on test day.

Thanks everyone, and thanks to 7Sage for the app!

Comments

• Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    just go to a public library the level of distraction will be more than sufficient.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    I would try to use different levels. Believe it or not, I know some people that have more trouble with absolute quiet than they do with ample background noise.

There probably is no perfect level either because some testing rooms have lots of people which can be conducive to higher noise levels such as paper shuffling, sneezing, coughing, writing, you name it. Other people I have talked to have been in a room with 20 people and said it was pretty silent.

I agree with @nader.parham that taking in a public library is probably a good idea!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Test day distractions are hard to predict. I had a girl in my test room that, right when time began on the first section, she started hiccupping uncontrollably! Loud, violent hiccups! It's funny all the ways how we react to stress and anxiety. Her particular method is hiccups, lol. Poor girl. She didn't stop until half way through section 2!
  • Tinyosi1Tinyosi1 Alum Member
    235 karma
    Thank you all for the suggestions! I'll just have to go to libraries and mix things up here and there.
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    I had an industrial jack-hammer shaking our entire building during the our exam so be prepared for anything. I personally think studying somewhere where only one conversation is going on is the toughest for me. Somewhere like a coffee shop is easy to tune out because it all mixes together. But if you can find somewhere where only one conversation is going on it will teach you to keep your mind on the LSAT big time.
  • DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma
    OMG the guy yawning is SO annoying... it's unrealistic how many times her yawns during the PT
  • J. TharpJ. Tharp Alum Member
    575 karma
    When I took a proctored PT, the thing that annoyed me the most was other test takers turning the pages of their test, which cannot be helped obviously. Probably a public or university library is the best.
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    I would vary it as much as possible, if only for the psychological benefit of feeling like you can be ready for anything. Go to the library, where people will inevitably be talking and to an empty college classroom. Sit in an environment where people are clearly in your line of sight and a location where people or not, et cetera.