Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What information did you provide your LOR?

blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
Ideally, I wanted to be able to send my LORs my personal statement but I realized this isn't going to happen. I already asked them a month ago and they said yes so it's not like my LORs don't know they are writing LORs - they just want it to be as tailored as possible.

I'm curious as to what you guys asked of your LORs - did you send PS? Did you send them blurbs/short summary about what your PS was going to be?

Comments

• hufflepuffhufflepuff Free Trial Member
    70 karma
    I set up meetings with both of my referees and caught them up with where I was in the application process (they both already knew I was applying to law school) and asked if they would be able to write me a letter. My prof whipped out a notebook and went through a list of questions that he said are his standard for LORs (what kind of law was I interested in, work/extracurricular experience, schools I was applying to, etc.). I asked him if he wanted me to provide any additional information/documents and he said no, he had his process down.

My other LOR (work) just asked generally what kinds of things I'd like her to talk about in the letter and what I thought schools may be looking for. She's already really familiar with my resume/what's stated in my PS so I didn't offer to send those (though I would have if she'd asked obviously).

If your referees have just asked for more information in general, I would send them maybe the highlights of things you'd ideally like them to touch on in your letter? Whether that's a blurb/rundown of your PS or a CV. Also, this might just be personal preference, but I found it really helpful to sit down with mine and actually have a discussion about what it is we were both looking for. If that sounds daunting at all, I think you'll be more than fine if you prep for a couple of obvious questions (why law, etc.) :) Hope this is at all helpful!
  • Tinyosi1Tinyosi1 Alum Member
    235 karma
    Two of my LORs I had very close relationships with. One teacher I had 3 classes with and was VP of a club he headed. My other I was a very exceptional student in his class. These two pretty much didn't ask me for anything as they knew me well.

My third had me send her a resume and a cover letter about why I would make a good law student.

I would really just ask them about what materials they think would help them make a letter. If you have a resume done send it their way.
  • _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited October 2016 3652 karma
    Both of my professors who said they would write me an LOR asked for a "statement of purpose". I think this is just the standard at my school. A statement of purpose, for grad school, seems to be "why am I interested in studying this in grad. school". I've read those "personal statements that got in to [whichever law school]" and a lot of those did not even mention law school or why they want to become an attorney so I'm pretty frustrated with being asked to write an entirely new essay that I likely won't use for my PS. I'm going to attach my resume as well.
  • TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma
    depends on the recommender. one of my profs wanted nothing, the other just wanted a resume
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    I knew both of my recommenders very well. (5 classes with one and 3 with the other) They both just wanted my resume and a list of the classes I had taken with them. I think it would have been different if they didn't know me as well.
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    I emailed them some articles (including recommendations from the admissions starter course) on what a good LOR has in it. I didn't give them anything else. But much like @"Alex Divine" I know my recommenders very well.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    @desire2learn what recommendations? Can you link me to this from the starter course?
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    I also know my recommenders very well. I'd just like to provide them with some guidelines.
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    I will try to message you the stuff I sent.