Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nerves, Any Tips?

carreno.katecarreno.kate Alum Member
edited September 2014 in General 135 karma
Hey everyone! I just took Pt 72 this morning, and I was insanely nervous! I kept thinking that this this test "was it," and I ended up putting so much pressure on myself that I flopped! I missed 17 questions, 14 of them from sections 1 & 2. During my break, I received a text from my boyfriend, who knew I was nervous about this particular morning, reassuring me that it was just another test. After realizing he was right, the rest of the test went fine -- I ended up getting a 166. I've been very consistent between 168 and 172 for months, and I was really hoping to peak this morning.

I think at this point, the only thing standing between me and my best performance is my own anxiety about the test. I know that I will be nervous on the 27th, but I don't want to be paralyzed. I've put so much into this test and it would kill me to lose points to my nerves! Does anyone have any ideas for overcoming nervousness in order to achieve a top score? Any insight would be immensely appreciated! :-)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    edited September 2014 310 karma
    Try limiting your caffeine in the morning, that should help

• ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    I'd recommend your boyfriend call you during the actual test after sections 1 and 2 to feed you sagacious advice. :)
  • LouieRodriguezLouieRodriguez Free Trial Member
    82 karma
    Meditate.
  • msmith85msmith85 Alum Member
    213 karma
    I have the same concerns. I'm in the same score range and would be very happy to score within that range on the 27th. So much so that sometimes I feel very nervous about the test.

I've lurked a lot on TLS forums, which are full of top scorers, reading about people's test day experiences and here's what I've gathered:
    Once you're there mentality is everything. It seemed as though those whose scores dropped remembered being very nervous, their mind racing. While some people lament they have no idea why they scored below their average, it seems like most people who underperform succumb to nerves.

The other group? The one we want to be in? They remembered approaching the test with a positive mindset, sometimes aggressively positive, and going into "auto-pilot." It is just another test, right?

Here's links to a TLS discussion on nerves and test day performance. The stories from people who freaked and underperformed are disheartening, but I really think they're something to learn from.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=40576

A good quote I like to think of from one of the posters,

"Look, if you are nervous as hell on test day your score will likely go down.

If you are rested and relaxed and approach the test like any other test you will do just fine.

So, the factor which will lead to a test day decrease is your own psychological state at the time. Completely within your control, no point in worrying about it."
  • msmith85msmith85 Alum Member
    213 karma
    Hope that was helpful. As for managing that test day stress, there's tons of info on TLS and 7sage has some tips for breathing. but I think most of it is mentality, which you CAN control.
  • chrijani7chrijani7 Alum Member
    827 karma
    Just wanted to add something I found interesting from the forum post on TLS that mssmith85 posted.

"I also think a lot of people cheat on their PTs. When people say their score went down, I tink a lot of time it is because people didn't take them in real conditions, or added a few points saying "oh, it was just a dumb mistake, and I won't make that on the real thing." I think more people are guilty of this than people who aren't."

I bet a lot of you will read that and insist that you don't do that, and maybe you don't.
    Here is something I will share that relates to what was stated above. Beginning yesterday I have decided that the last 7 PT's I have will be at the exact same time as the real test will be, they will be 5 sections, at my school (which is where my location is but not in the exact room, just want to get a fee for the drive), and finally with my 7sage proctor.
    That being said, earlier this month I was scoring between mid-high 160's, with my highest score being 170. The way I cheated myself to get those scores really showed in my score yesterday, which was a dismal 161. Now, I know that at break I had dealt with some personal stuff, which may have resulted in a horrible LR section. But nonetheless, I finished ALL the sections bubbled and everything within the 35 minutes.

At this point your probably thinking so what... but bear with me here. My previous tests I did not use a proctor, but I did time myself. So while I did finish in 35 minutes, I would occasionally cheat myself by maybe beginning to bubble my sheet once 35 minutes hit, rather than having everything done beforehand. I know it seems small, but knowing that I would give myself that opportunity reduced the stress. Another factor was by having a proctor the 5 minute mark being announced adds a ton of stress for me. So when I was not using a proctor app before I didn't get that stress.

So my point is that by not testing yourself at least a few times with REAL conditions, that means 5 parts, proctor, at the time of day the LSAT is administered, you may see a drop in score on test date. Just that little bit of stress that is added by hearing the 5 minute announced, or that added fatigue by taking the test an hour earlier can harm you. The psychological battle is real and you need to be prepared for ANYTHING that can be thrown your way. It's important to realize that most of the test day factors that will test your mentality can be controlled and you can manipulate your mind to work through them if you be true to yourself and test yourself properly. I also need to begin taking my own advice and I will end this here.
  • carreno.katecarreno.kate Alum Member
    135 karma
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I only have two PTs left before the 27th, and I think I'm going to take them on campus in an empty classroom, which I have only done once before. I have been fairly true to testing conditions, only occasionally bubbling in a few answers after time has been called. This is something I am working on this week, after realizing that this is more important than it seems.

One thing I have definitely noticed in my PTs is that RC has gotten more difficult as my nerves become more prominent. I've been much more likely to drift in RC than in say, LG, where my attention is constantly focused on a set of rules and conditions. This hurts my understanding of the passage, forcing me to re-read, which in turn stresses me out even more!

I'm planning on completely tuning everything out on test day, as I've heard some horror stories about interactions with other test takers before the test and during the break. I just hope I can rein in my anxiousness and go into "auto-pilot" as someone mentioned here. Good luck everyone!
  • marleybabymarleybaby Alum Member
    194 karma
    I agree with the above. I had been consistently scoring 166-172. But I had been cheating myself.

I had been bubbling in after time was called and working on extra logical reasoning questions that I still had not bubbled in after time was called. Today I decided to be real with myself and proctored a 5 section test with the adequate breaks. I did not allow myself illegitimate time.

I cracked. I did poor on LR, only got to 2 LG games and did not even finish all 4 of my RC. I scored a 160.

Looking back at it, it was mostly the stress of having to ACTUALLY complete the section on time. ALSO the inexperience of knowing when you have to move on and pick a question (RC). Or when you have spent too long on a section (LG). As for my decline on LR (which I have scored 24/25 consistently) I know that it was lack of timed practice.

Moral of the story is… take truly timed sections to become accustomed to the conditions and build stamina. But also allow time for review. But be CONSISTENT in taking those tests.
  • Allison MAllison M Alum Member Inactive Sage
    810 karma
    To add to what @chrijani7 and @uribemarlene92 said, I've also noticed that my score dips a bit when I do PTs with my study group. I think this is mostly because I get distracted by the other test takers ("oh my god, the person next to me just turned the page, does that mean I'm behind?!?!?"). If you're prone to nerves, it might be worthwhile to find someone to take a PT with to get used to the feeling.
  • chrijani7chrijani7 Alum Member
    827 karma
    OMG!Absolutely Allison! That is probably one of the biggest things I am worried about this point. I am a big bag of nerves, and I know that having others around me is always a challenge. However, I don't have anyone to practice writing with, so I try to the best I can by going to the library and finding an open table in a semi quiet area, but the PAGE TURN will definitely throw me off
  • joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    802 karma
    This is what I've been playing in the background while I take my tests. This is in addition to the 7Sage Proctor. JY is scary when he says "PUT YOUR PENCILS DOWN!"

Hour + of library sounds, including lots of page turning, typing, PA announcements, whispering, zippers, etc.
  • DrackedaryDrackedary Member
    239 karma
    I find the 7Sage proctor app pretty funny when you turned distracts and background noise to level 10. It sounds like I'm taking the LSAT in a hospital TB ward rather than a university lecture hall!