Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having serious doubts

RonaldReaganRonaldReagan Alum Member
in General 12 karma
So as my title says, I've been having serious doubts about Law School. I'm a senior at a state university have a very poor GPA at 2.8, but I was diagnosed with an inner ear condition that caused me to go partially deaf in my right ear and gave me intense and constant vertigo my sophomore year and I suffered immensely because of that. Now that the condition is under control for the most part, I started studying in the middle of the summer and my diagnostic was a 155, and I have been PTing in the low to mid 160's. I'm thinking about taking the February LSAT and take a gap year before I apply. But I just kind of broke down this past weekend mentally and physically. Is it realistic to go to Law School with my GPA, even if I manage to do well my senior year? Has anyone experienced anything similar or has any sort of advice? Maybe I'm just really burnt out or maybe I just needed to vent haha. Thanks!

Comments

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    There are some people on 7Sage with GPAs at or below yours, yet were able to make it into great law schools, even T14 ones. Your diagnostic was several points higher than mine and many others. I and these many others have managed to increase by 20+ points.

I think the key for you is to do well this year to really back up what you write in your addendum regarding your GPA. You're in a great position in being anywhere in the 160s. Honestly, if you're planning on applying for 2018 (and NOT for this upcoming cycle), I would recommend you study consistently through the months to take in June. You'd still be among the earliest takers, would have an afternoon test, and would have several subsequent test dates for possible retakes.

You seem to have a compelling and understandable story. If you want to go to law school, don't let your crappy circumstances dictate you away from it, especially when you're already doing well on the LSAT and with many months to spare before even February, much less a later date. Obviously, your GPA will keep you from certain schools like HYS, but while it may put you at a disadvantage for others, it isn't something you can't overcome. A well-written PS, DS, and addendum will potentially help a lot in this regard.

Again, you're in a very positive situation with where you are on your LSAT studies and, presumably, with why you have a low GPA.
  • EvansjourneyEvansjourney Alum Member
    edited October 2016 40 karma
    It's possible to manage, IMO. Take night courses which aren't as many compared to a regular schedule, and use the accommodations office for disabilities.

I am a quadriplegic and don't let anything get me down. Also, you can always do UG Online.
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    With a reasonable story and a killer LSAT score there will be schools that give you a shot. Apply yourself well to the LSAT prep and nail it come June (or Oct. or Dec.). You can do it!
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Write a GPA addendum and kill the LSAT. The good thing (in your scenario and many others such as myself) about law school apps is that the LSAT is literally half the application. Don't doubt yourself. Also keep your grades up during your last year of undergrad especially because adcomms like to see an upward trend in GPA and try to get 2 academic letters from classes you've done well in...you'll be fine :)
  • RonaldReaganRonaldReagan Alum Member
    12 karma
    Thanks everyone for the support/encouragement. I really, really, really appreciate it!
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Hey no problem, we like to help :D
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    You got this @RonaldReagan ! 2.8 isn't a deal breaker at all. I know people with right around that GPA who are splitters and got into great schools. The LSAT is going to your saving grace. Study hard and score high.
  • Matthew524Matthew524 Member
    651 karma
    @RonaldReagan Hey I am in the same position as you. I have a low GPA as well but it was due to a medical condition that ruined my everyday life ( I have epilepsy). My grades were horrible my freshmen and sophomore year but as I got accommodated at my University and I started to learn to deal with my illness my grades improved and I was told to write an addendum explaining the situation I was in. It is better to write an addendum explaining your situation and your low GPA compared to letting the admissions committee make assumptions about why your GPA is low.
  • cm214998cm214998 Alum Member
    190 karma
    @RonaldReagan Nothing is impossible my friend. Sounds cliche, but it's the absolute truth. Your diagnostic is proof that you can handle law school, let alone the LSAT, and you're PT-ing in a really solid range. Keep studying and shoot for a high score.