Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Letters of Recommendation

lmekahellmekahel Alum Member
Hi,
My question is regarding the letters of recommendation for LSAC. I decided that I am going to apply next year for law school (not ready for the LSAT), but I want to get my other requirements for the application process out of the way. I was wondering if I get my professors to send my letter of recommendations in this year, if I will be able to use it for next year's application. I just want to make sure that LSAC wont delete the letters from the system when the new application cycle begins.
I tried calling LSAC but they are closed today and I already contacted my professors for the letters of rec.

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @lmekahel said:
    I was wondering if I get my professors to send my letter of recommendations in this year, if I will be able to use it for next year's application. I just want to make sure that LSAC wont delete the letters from the system when the new application cycle begins.
    Yup! you'll be good for 5 years after your LSAC acct is created.
  • lmekahellmekahel Alum Member
    161 karma
    @montaha.rizeq Thank you! :)
    11542 karma
    Welcome :) I think it's a great idea to get started on other aspects of your application before taking the LSAT...especially LORs because you want to make sure the professors remember who you are so the letters can be as solid as possible.
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7262 karma
    Yes—your letters will still be in CAS next year, but if you're still in school, you might want to tell your professors that you've postponed your application. It wouldn't hurt to give yourself another year of relationship-building and then asking for the letters in the spring.

If you're out of school already, then congrats on being ahead of the curve!
    161 karma
    @david.busis Thanks David! I actually studied abroad last year in the Middle East and I decided to ask a couple of my professors from my program to write my letter of recommendation since I don't think I'll see them anytime soon. I'm hoping that could give me a little edge for the recommendations.
    I worked with the Dean of my college in Student Council two years ago and since I was abroad for a year I thought it would be best to reach out to her now, just in case I don't have the time to work with her further this year since I'm trying to boost my GPA and get a high LSAT score.

But if you have any further comments or recommendations I would greatly appreciate!
    edited September 2016 11542 karma
    @lmekahel said:
    I actually studied abroad last year in the Middle East
    Nice, I'm Middle Eastern :) what country(ies) of the ME did you visit?
    @lmekahel said:
    I decided to ask a couple of my professors from my program to write my letter of recommendation since I don't think I'll see them anytime soon. I'm hoping that could give me a little edge for the recommendations.
    I worked with the Dean of my college in Student Council two years ago and since I was abroad for a year I thought it would be best to reach out to her now, just in case I don't have the time to work with her further this year since I'm trying to boost my GPA and get a high LSAT score.
    You're very on top of this! good for you. I'm sure the dean of your college will have an amazing letter to write.
    7262 karma
    @lmekahel Sounds like a plan. Still, I'd recommend that you also get an LOR from a professor whose class you took (not the dean) at your primary college.
    161 karma
    @david.busis Noted. I'll definitely get a LOR from a professor at my primary university.
    @montaha.rizeq Jordan, Egypt, and Israel :)
  • badgalriribadgalriri Alum Member
    316 karma
    I had a related question to this. I decided to postpone applying and am applying this cycle now, but my professor wants to update some info on my letter now. There's no way to resubmit the letter, so am I supposed to delete him as a recommender and request him again? Thanks!
    7262 karma
    @badgalriri You might be able to request another letter from him without deleting him. Let us know.
  • Jessica_KubaJessica_Kuba Core Member
    461 karma
    @david.busis I had a similar problem last evening with my LOR. I made a mistake in one of my recommenders address and I didn't find a way to edit so I deleted them and added them back. Thing is that, I have four recommenders in total but since I deleted and added my recommender back- my LSAC account saved them as L5. Is this going to be an issue?
    7262 karma
    @Jessica_Kuba not at all. You can add as many recommendations as you want. When you apply, you'll get to choose which recommendations to send. The only danger is sending the wrong recs by accident.