Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many Games did you go to get -0?

orangebeerorangebeer Alum Member
in General 216 karma
Hi,

Just wondering...
How many Games or PTs did you do to get -0~-2 range?
ow many times do you repeat doing the same games?

Thanks

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @orangebeer

I'm still working at getting my LG score consistently -0
    but I fool proofed all of the games from PTs 1-35 before I ever hit -2 on a section.
    Some of the games I must have done 5-10 times and re-watched JY's explanation for them 3x
    before they clicked.
  • always learningalways learning Free Trial Member
    99 karma
    @orangebeer I honestly did the games over and over again. Not just going through the motions but analyzing the interaction between the rules and the game pieces. It really helps
  • orangebeerorangebeer Alum Member
    216 karma
    @"Alex Divine"
    Are you gonna do all of the games then? You don't mean after doing all of the 35 PTs you start to hit -2 right? I wonder when you click...like aft how many games? or does it depend on ppl?
    Which ones do you think ppl must do from old games?

@"always learning"
    Do you think repeating games is better or doing variety games is better?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2016 23929 karma
    @orangebeer said:
    Are you gonna do all of the games then? You don't mean after doing all of the 35 PTs you start to hit -2 right? I wonder when you click...like aft how many games? or does it depend on ppl?
    Which ones do you think ppl must do from old games?

@"always learning"
    Do you think repeating games is better or doing variety games is better?
    Yes, I am eventually going to fool proof every game from PTs 1-79 before I sit for the LSAT.

Yes, after I did all of the games from 1-35 I started to go -2 on sections. And to be honest, I haven't even done all of the games from 1-35 yet, but a good amount of them. I am actually doing a logic games intensive in which I'm going through all of them and fool proofing them right now. I think people should do all of the games and fool proof them too. Most games are just repeats of previous games. Sure, names and variables might change, but sometimes I do a new game and I'm hit with logic games deja vu. I think to myself, "I have definitely seen this before." However, I realize there is no possible way and I've simply memorized the inferences from a previous similar game.

I think it is important to do a variety of games AND repeat doing the same games. I keep an Excel spreadsheet of all of the games I don't do under time/ go -0 on/of feel like I "don't own" and I work my way through them every few weeks. The secret to LG is repetition and memorizing the inferences.

And yes, this is going to be different for everyone. Some people are naturally really good at logic games. So they may not need to do as many, but I still think it is beneficial to do them all...
    216 karma
    @"Alex Divine"
    Thanks, good to know.
    I was wondering because I heard old games are very different so...was thinking to just do recent ones. seems like not enough...
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2016 23929 karma
    @orangebeer said:
    I was wondering because I heard old games are very different so...was thinking to just do recent ones. seems like not enough...
    Yeah, when I first started prepping I assumed the same thing...

Old games are still extremely valuable. Honestly, I think of all the sections LG has changed the least from PT1 to the most recent PT79. There are some differences, but they are so minor that the old games are still very relevant, especially in regards to the inferences you'll likely be expected to make on newer games.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    @orangebeer said:
    How many Games or PTs did you do to get -0~-2 range?
    ow many times do you repeat doing the same games?
    To both questions: As many as it takes. For different individuals, the actual number will range from 1 to 300+. Repeating each game will range from 1 to dozens. What matters is that if you keep at the process, you will master LG. How many will be how every many you've done when you've achieved mastery.
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited October 2016 8689 karma
    It has taken me over 900 games to get to the -2/-0 level consistently. The last thing I have been ironing out are the rule substitution questions. I did the PT 1-40ish games between 5-10 times each. Games that really got me the first time around I have done 20+ times. I do snakes and lizards every Friday. I probably am not normal in this regard because I started off with very little familiarity with what the games even were.*
  • jowens7317jowens7317 Alum Member
    244 karma
    If you've already got the general idea of how to do logic games, like gameboard setup, inferences, etc. down then all it takes is practice practice practice. How much time and practice will you have to put in for a consistent timed -0/-2? Well that varies from person to person. I drilled around 15-20 LG sections 2 or 3 times each and took around 20 PTs before I was consistently at -2 on LG. Try to do any logic game you can get your hands on (the Sep 2016 LSAT virus game taught me this unfortunate lesson haha) always review and always redo if you don't 110% understand why each right answer is right and why each wrong answer is wrong.
    216 karma
    Thank you all.

@jowens7317
    So in total you did 35-40 Game sections x2-3 times?
    which means 480 games at most I guess? That's a lot...
    what caused you the most trouble? Time or inference?
    244 karma
    @orangebeer well I redid the LG section of each preptest I took only once so that's 40 total sections and drilled15-20 LG sections x2-3 so that's 30-60 sections which adds up to between 280 to 400 total individual games. Keep in mind this is my own individual pace until I reached consistency, your pace may be completely different, and honestly I couldve picked it up sooner had I reviewed better.

As for your second question I started out struggling with both time and inferences. As I practiced I got more comfortable with making quicker inferences and eliminating wrong answer choices faster which lead to an improvement in time
    216 karma
    @jowens7317
    sorry I didn't mean anything, I was just worried about myself because I felt I have to do much more games...I think I have only done 150-200 individual games (including repeating) and I did some of them looong time ago...
    Can I ask you how long it took for you to do all of those games wit good review?
    Btw when you say review, what other stuff did you do besides watching JY's videos?
    edited October 2016 244 karma
    @orangebeer well I would usually go over a game I just finished myself first to see if I could figure out where I went wrong like with inferences and time traps etc. and see if I could fix it myself the next time I did that game and if there were still problems the next game I would watch the games video and try it again later. I usually waited a week or two before redoing games but a lot of people review them and redo them directly after doing it the first time and that seems to work for a lot of people. As for review time, it was typically a quick process for me because I could usually spot out the inferences I missed quickly and for the videos take as much time as you need watching and rewatching them as needed

Note: I mentioned earlier that my review process probably ended up causing me extra work in the long run and slowing my overall progess down so in terms of reviewing I would look to some of the already established methods and see how they work for you. The time you have available to study is something you should embrace not avoid when it comes to taking the LSAT because the LSAT cannot be rushed or crammed into memory.
    216 karma
    @jowens7317
    I see. Well...I still miss many questions on hard games so apparently I have to practice a lot...
    if we practice enough we will eventually be able to solve those harder games right? hope so...