Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Increasing Your LSAT score

CRSTOVALLCRSTOVALL Free Trial Member
in General 52 karma
What are some ways you've used that were successful in increasing your LSAT score?

Comments

• Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited October 2016 2098 karma
    @CRSTOVALL this is a really broad question if you take a diagnostic test or give some information about your current score people can give you great tailored advise. I try to give you some very basic and generic suggestion to improve your score

First sign up for 7Sage course and finish the core curriculum. The next step would be to take a PT and Blind Review (BR) it to see what are your weaknesses. After doing all these use analytics to focus on specific question types that give you trouble. One of best advice that I got was to not waste PTs. PTs are there to show you where you need to focus if you do not BR a PT you just wasted your time and a fresh PT.

The good new is that you can improve rapidly on LG without inventing the wheel thanks to 7Sage community. I included some links below that might help you plus my own experience. I hope it would be useful to you. Max out your LG score and come back for LR dosage of advice. just joking I am not qualified to give advice on LR :)

Have you done the LG Bundle and foolproof all the games from PT 1-35? It is possible to achieve -0 on LG.

My suggestion: after fool proofing LG Bundle, take LG sections of PT 1-35 under time and watch J.Y explanation after completing each section but this time when you watching focus mostly on how he teaches to perceive the right answer choice (instead of brute force) and try to implement his suggestions on the next section.

Do not get bog down on one question (take a hint if possible) but if you find one super difficult and you are confident about your master game board, skip the question answer others in that particular game then come back to it use your other set ups you drew; if nothing works finish the section and if you have extra time come back to it. The ultimate goal is to be able to systematically answer any questions so when under exam pressure you just follow your system. You need to develop a system that works best for you. The system I am trying to follow is like

1- read the question set up the sketch try make obvious inferences
    2- check answer choices
    3- If still confused take count of the items write them near questions and go through the rules one by one make inferences
    4- check answer choices
    5- If still stuck, SKIP the question
    6- After I have done all other questions I will take another try at it by only checking the question against all of my sketches (I do not try to make inferences again unless I already finished the section)

If you have difficulties to finish LR sections in time use the online stopwatch to build up your internal time clock to get a feel how long 80 seconds really take. You can do so by taking LR sections from PT 1-35 and do them individually while using a timer with loop countdown function. Set the timer on 80 seconds and 25 loops when it is past 80 seconds circle the question choose an answer choice and move on, come back to the question if you got extra time at the end of the section.

The Blind Review: How to correctly prep for LSAT (Part 1)
    https://7sage.com/the-blind-review-how-to-correctly-prep-for-lsat-part-1/

Pacifico Logic Games Attack Strategy
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy

J.Y fool-proof guide
    https://7sage.com/lesson/fool-proof-guide-to-perfection-on-logic-games/

Online Stopwatch with Loop-countdown
    http://www.online-stopwatch.com/loop-countdown/

I hope this helps you

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited October 2016 10774 karma
    @CRSTOVALL

Blind Review and Reviewing Core curriculum!

https://7sage.com/lesson/the-blind-review-step-1-100-certainty/

-I have found using the above method incredibly helpful. I also, depending on if I am missing a particular question type, am always ready to go back to the core- curriculum. Lastly, my favorite, feel free to ask advice on the forums. The people here are incredibly helpful. So if you don't understand anything even after watching the video just feel free to ask :)
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Not Ralph Nader" and @Sami got it right!

For me, 7Sage was what began to give me a tangible increase in my score. Also, as Sami mentions, blind review is a integral part of the 7Sage course philosophy.
  • CRSTOVALLCRSTOVALL Free Trial Member
    52 karma
    Thanks !!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    Yeah, I agree with the 7Sage answer. For me personally, I plateaued pretty hopelessly in the high 150's/low 160's before 7Sage. I don't think I could have broken the 170's if I hadn't found 7Sage.
  • EmmaWI88EmmaWI88 Alum Member
    213 karma
    For me, if I question wrong even after blind review, I go through it and write out why my instincts were wrong, what led me there, and why the correct answer is correct. You can also do this for every answer choice per question. I honestly only do it for trick answers and write out why it's wrong. It helps break down argument structures and look at your instincts and thinking. It also gives you even more out of your blind review.

Fool proof 1-35 on the LG games. It's probably the most straightforward thing you can do and is very effective. Also, at least for me, you begin to actually enjoy the games.

And yeah, focus on your weaknesses based off the analytics. For example, I pulled every SA question up to a certain number of PTs I will not be taking as actual practice tests. It a. gets you more exposed to the questions and some of their patterns b. boosts your confidence when you see you can actually get these questions correct (at least some of them) c. exposes your weaknesses and d. you don't tend to dread them as much once you jump into the deep end.

52 karma
    Thank You both !!
  • CocoZhangCocoZhang Alum Member
    476 karma
    Well, don't do one PT per day, that's my advice.
    52 karma
    @CocoZhang
    I was planning to do two a week. Why did you suggest not taking one per day?
  • EmmaWI88EmmaWI88 Alum Member
    213 karma
    You will burn out which is really detrimental to your studying. Also, you can't truly blind review the exam and focus on your weaknesses in between tests. At that point you'd just be wasting them. I would say 2 per week is a good number. I tried 3 per week once and just got so exhausted and frustrated.
  • shahla.s-1shahla.s-1 Alum Member
    edited October 2016 104 karma
    @CRSTOVALL There is a webinar on this topic if you have 45 mins to spare.

https://7sage.com/webinar/lsat-prep-for-170-plus/

It was from a past sager who got a 174, it really helped me out. But its exactly what people have suggested here. Good luck!
  • Burt MacklinBurt Macklin Alum Member
    170 karma
    @Sami said:
    Reviewing Core curriculum!
    Reinforce what you're learning and what you've already learned!
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    Honest self-reflection on what I needed to focus on most was really key for me. And constantly celebrating minor successes and re-evaluating how to move forward :)
  • CocoZhangCocoZhang Alum Member
    476 karma
    @CRSTOVALL said:
    I was planning to do two a week. Why did you suggest not taking one per day?
    I personally can only be focused and efficient for 4-5 hours a day. If I want to BR the PT on the same day, I will not be as focused. BR is the most important learning process and I don't want to do it half-hearted.