Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disadvantages of Deferring LSAT until December???????????

dhanneetdhanneet Alum Member
edited September 2014 in General 138 karma
So with only a week left, I'm seriously beginning to contemplate deferring Saturday's exam to December as I'm still having issues with getting timing down. I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on any possible disadvantages of waiting until then. I'm planning on applying to primarily Canadian schools.

Comments

• LeoFiro8LeoFiro8 Alum Member
    244 karma
    Go and read a thread regarding this titled losing on scholarship. Unfortunately you only had until September 8th to change your test date.
  • Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
    1049 karma
    You can stil decline it - you just won't get a refund.

There are drawbacks to December... but at the end of the day I'd rather take it in Dec and get a better score than take it in Sept with a lower score.

You could also take the Sept test AND cancel (within 7 days - double check the number) if you don't like how it felt.
  • dhanneetdhanneet Alum Member
    edited September 2014 138 karma
    Great thanks! I'm not too concerned about missing out on the refund or not being applicable for scholarships.

I'm just worried about "rolling admissions" and being the last pick of the crop.

I may write on Saturday and cancel my score if I don't feel good about it…haven't decided yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    310 karma
    come on dhanneet

you could have postponed several weeks ago. Why did you wait until now? what happened? you should just take it next week. Don't quit on me son
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    I'd say take it and register again... if you are happy with your score cancel the registration... otherwise, retake.
  • chrijani7chrijani7 Alum Member
    827 karma
    In my opinion, take the test. You are already registered and past the deadline to get a refund. Earlier in September I was above my target score (165) for a couple of PT's but recently my PT's have plummeted to below my target score. I don't feel safe going into this either, I feel like one wrong move and I can easily miss my target and have to rewrite. However I am going to write it anyways, because I feel like taking the test in the actual environment, at the test centre, and knowing its the real deal is worth the money I already spent. I know my scores have been dropping for a number of reasons, but I think its mainly been due to nerves. So by taking the test, I am hoping to at least reduce that aspect of the test because it won't so much of an "unknown" experience to me. I understand the premise of not taking the test until your fully prepared and reaching your targeted scores. However, in my case I was comfortably reaching my scores so I did not postpone, lately it has been a different case. Don't just hand your money to LSAC for NOTHING at all, at least get something out of it. Like others have said, if you want you can cancel your score, even by doing that you will still get a feel for the experience, which hopefully can help you going forward. Get a reward for your hard work and money paid so far.... NOONE deserves to get paid for nothing, not even LSAC.
  • adrian.mikoadrian.miko Alum Member
    edited September 2014 191 karma
    I would say if you don't feel prepared, move it for December.
    For Canadian Law Schools the final exam that they consider is the February LSAT. They do suggest writing it no later than December though.
    827 karma
    I know it is easier said than done, even for me, but WHO CARES WHEN YOU GO TO LAW SCHOOL. If your goal is to become a lawyer, then having to wait an extra just proves to yourself how bad you want it. Let's say you have to defer until June even, so you miss 2015 applications and need to wait until 2016. Let's go even further and say you do good on the June LSAT that you feel you don't even need to rewrite, since you took all that extra time to study. So now you have a year off while you wait for to apply and see if you get in. Before I even begin to go into the plus side of having to do this, let me just say that if by having to wait an extra year you think that burning drive to be a lawyer is going to go away, then you probably shouldn't even go in the first place. If anything having to wait that year proves to you that your taking the right path in life because you are itching for over a year and still just as antsy to get be a lawyer as you were a year ago. Also, you can take advantage of this time off, get a job, do volunteer work, take the 7sage law school course or buy a law school book (most law schools have on their website what courses you will taking). You can do all this to bolster your application and get ahead of the game, so that when you are finally in law school you won't be as stressed since you had extra time to prepare.

I know this is not ideal. I may have to face this issue. But honestly, it doesn't matter what life throws you, there is a positive and negative consequence of every action. It is up to you decide which of those consequences you would like to focus on.
    3438 karma
    Heck I'm getting around 165 to 167 on the latest tests but a -5 to -7 on the LG so I might consider taking it again... that would be my third try though after a 163 last December. I'm going to register and see the kind of score I get and decide based on on that.
  • dhanneetdhanneet Alum Member
    edited September 2014 138 karma
    Thanks for all of the input everyone…I certainly appreciate you taking the time to respond!

I'm leaning towards writing on Saturday (although I will likely be cancelling my score) in order to get a sense of what the test is like. I'll also be registering for December and am planning on spending October and November getting my timing sorted out as my accuracy is where I'd like it to be (I'm getting the score I'd like untimed).

My situation is a bit unusual in that I'm actually writing my LSAT as part of a deal I made with my father in exchange with him financing my musical ventures (I'm a singer). Coming from an academically oriented family combined with the fact that I'm well aware of the harsh realities of the music industry (and the importance of needing a solid back up plan)…law was the only other thing I could see myself doing. I've taken the past 6 months off of music to study but will likely be forced to managing both over the next two months which is what I would've liked to have avoided…but where there is a will there's a way right?!?
    827 karma
    I feel ya Neetu, I to have been studying for awhile now with no other obligations since I recently graduated and am fortunate enough to not have to work while I studied. However, my time has come where I am forced to write it and if I don't do well and I need to rewrite it, well I had better find something to do while I study for it. So I actually got accepted to the MBA program, I took the offer and figured if I had to rewrite I'd have to study while pursuing the MBA, I can't sit around for a year with no work and no school and claim that the LSAT is the reason why. Lots of people study for the LSAT while fulfilling various forms of lifes obligations. So it is definitely doable, just going to require more discipline, as there will not be as much "spare" time to play around with.
    3438 karma
    I'm actually doing it while doing my PhD coursework and TAing for a Constitutional Law course at University... Which is kind of ok because it keeps me busy. That said, it definitely takes away time from the process... I actually have 21 tests left (mix of 9 really old, 4 from 39 - 42 both inclusive and around 8 in the 60s) so I'm going to be solving them 2 tests a week at a time before the next test like one day PT, one day test review a day's gap repeat and then on Saturday look at games, LR and weaknesses. I think that building off the momentum of this one would be the way to go if I don't get what I want as per my expectations.
  • marleybabymarleybaby Alum Member
    194 karma
    Yea. Take the test for the experience. You never know. But I would cancel the score if you feel like you messed up on a few sections. That's what I shall do as I too have bad timing but good accuracy. There is no shame in getting that experience on Saturday to better prepare you for December. No shame at all.