Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The importance of essays other than the PS?

yimeiyimei Member
edited August 2016 in General 138 karma
Can you give percentages of the importance of the "Diversity Statement", "Why us?" résumé,and maybe the addendum?

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited October 2016 11542 karma
    While the personal statement can be described as the "heart" of your application, other essays such as the ones you mentioned hold value but not stronger than a PS would hold. A diversity statement should only be written if you feel your personal experience or background is something you can bring to the table that calls for a diverse environment bringing a different perspective into the law school...usually someone with an a-typical lifestyle and is not a URM won't write a diversity statement. The "why us" essay should be crafted as something you genuinely put some thought into. It's easy to hop onto the school's website and see the list of clinics/externships/bar pass rate etc. and use that as a reason for a "why us" but adcomms know what their website has and so they're looking for something that shows you put effort into researching - even something as simple as "I have family in the area so this is a school I'm strongly considering" will work because it gives the adcomms a sort of "guarantee" that you would choose the school if they accept you. Just don't be generic about the "why us" essay. As for the addendum, I'm just going to quote @david.busis:
    "The point of an addendum is to show your good judgment--even if you're explaining bad judgment from the past. Some people will tell you to submit an addendum for anything; I've come to believe that a low-LSAT addendum is just as likely to hurt you as it is to help you.

Here's the test. Think of someone smart who didn't like you in high school, college or beyond. Imagine explaining your low GPA or LSAT score to that person. If that person would think your argument legitimate, go ahead and write it. If that person would be skeptical, don't write it.

Example of a valid low-GPA explanation: You had to travel home every weekend of your sophomore year to care for a sick relative. (Only works if your GPA is lower sophomore year than other years).

Example of a bad LSAT explanation: Someone's cell-phone rang during the test and you couldn't decide to cancel or not and you decided to cancel but then you forgot. (The cell-phone thing might have really thrown you off, but it may sound trivial to your reader. Forgetting to cancel your score makes you seem disorganized.)"
    So if you feel your situation qualifies for an addendum, I would say it holds great importance! In the end, I think it's difficult to put a percentage value on all of these topics because one may be stronger than the other for someone while have the opposite affect for someone else.
    Hope this helps!
  • yimeiyimei Member
    138 karma
    Dear @montaha.rizeq, Thank you for your reply! Very informative and comprehensive! I just edited my post and added résumé. What do you think of résumé then?
    11542 karma
    A resume is more often than not a requirement of your application. It shouldn't exceed more than two pages. David says adcomms take about 30 seconds to look at your resume. Making it too long can leave a sour taste in their mouth.
  • yimeiyimei Member
    138 karma
    @montaha.rizeq Thank you! Did you hear these from Webinar? I shouldn't have missed it!
    11542 karma
    Yeah most of this came from the webinars lol. Hope you can tune in next time! He has one tomorrow at 9EST :)
  • yimeiyimei Member
    138 karma
    @montaha.rizeq OK! Thanks a lot!!!
    11542 karma
    You're welcome :D
  • badgalriribadgalriri Alum Member
    316 karma
    Who are you guys getting to check out these essays? I'm on a budget and can't pay for someone to check all of these essays, but my college's pre-law center is practically useless and says everything is fine. I'm low key (high key) freaking out because I wanted to submit these this weekend.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @badgalriri said:
    Who are you guys getting to check out these essays?
    90% sure people are going to David. His services are pretty affordable:
    https://7sage.com/enroll-admissions/
    11542 karma
    @badgalriri said:
    I'm on a budget and can't pay for someone to check all of these essays, but my college's pre-law center is practically useless and says everything is fine. I'm low key (high key) freaking out because I wanted to submit these this weekend.
    David's services are fairly cheap compared to others...plus how often can you get your paper revised and given an opinion by a Yale Law grad? lol
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    plus how often can you get your paper revised and given an opinion by a Yale Law grad? lol
    Not to mention an Iowa Writer's Workshop grad. I'm not sure people fully appreciate the enormity of that. Iowa is the Yale of writing.
  • badgalriribadgalriri Alum Member
    316 karma
    I know he's really good but I'm working on about 5 optional essays so that doesn't work with any of the admissions packages available. Thanks though.