Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this worth an addendum?

Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
in General 1650 karma
Hi everyone,

My undergrad institution has a co-op program that most undergrads take part in. Starting in sophomore year you have the option to alternate between 6 months of full-time work and then a regular academic semester. So my undergrad career was 5 years, and for 3 of those years I was on co-op January-July then class as normal from Sept.-December.

These gaps are shown on my transcript and reflected on my resume. Will admissions understand this plainly? Or should I write an addendum explaining

Comments

• AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    I would say addendum it up! I'm in the application mode as well and all schools I've applied to so far ask if you took any gaps during college. I think that will be an awesome opportunity to turn those gaps into a positive! Also, by addendum I mean explanation. I've seen many schools just ask the question on the regular application. They don't ask you to attach a document along with your PS, DS, etc. Hope that helps!
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    @Alejandro

Thanks for the reply! The thing is, these co-op work experiences are offered through the University.. so I'm not sure they qualify as the kind of "gaps" that that question refers to.

Would it make sense to submit it as an optional attachment, referencing something that appears on my transcript and explaining it further? I've always heard it's best not to add extra information unless it's absolutely necessary. I don't want to give them extra reading unless it's something I have to do
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    I am no expert, so take this with a grain of salt: I don't think you HAVE to do it because it might not really be a gap. However, if you are on the fence, I would just right a short explanation of the university program and how it was a positive experience - no need to be lengthy about it. I would try to avoid adding an attachment and just write up an explanation in the actual application.