Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newbie to LSATs, can this thing really be learned?

seamusyarbroughseamusyarbrough Free Trial Member
edited September 2014 in General 36 karma
I apologise if this is asked often. I decided I wanted to do law school and bought a giant Princeton Review LSAT book. I wanted to know where I was at, so I took two practice tests from the back of the book. I scored 162 & 164 but couldn't even start the last logic game on either so I missed 1/4 of that section both times. Timing is killing me on logic games. My question is can I realistically expect to crack 170 or am I going to struggle because I'm not processing logic fast enough? I mean it's not knowledge at all, so can I learn to think better?

Comments

• seamusyarbroughseamusyarbrough Free Trial Member
    edited September 2014 36 karma
    Yea I kinda have decided the 1000s of pages are basically a giant paper weight with 3 practice tests.... I found the video explanations here and was very impressed. My goal is UVA and it seems with my GPA I'll need at least 171. I just don't know if I'm being a bit pretentious to think I can score that high.
  • godawgs24godawgs24 Alum Member
    53 karma
    If you started off with a 162 cold diagnostic then yes, you can realistically expect to break 170 if you put the time into studying. Logic games is the most learnable of the three sections. I would take a look at the PowerScore LG Bible, that did wonders for me, as well as the 7sage LG videos. Throw both of them babies together, and you'll be mastering logic games in no time. Also, I wouldn't recommend the Princeton Review LSAT book. I've used it and in my opinion, they sucked. Take a look at the LSAT Trainer by Mikey Kim, Manhattan LR book, and the 7sage course.
    36 karma
    Everyone seems to love that logic bible. My local barns and noble didn't have it when I checked. Looks like it may be worth ordering.
  • DrackedaryDrackedary Member
    239 karma
    Yes, the LSAT can be learned so long as you dedicate time and effort into studying.

I suggest getting rid of the Princeton Review book. It does not even use real LSAT questions. The ones the authors come up with simply aren't up to par and prone to mistakes.

The PowerScore bibles are also good resources, though the LG one isn't perfect, which is why I'm taking the 7Sage course. That said, I still recommend them. It gave me a solid foundation to work with.
  • David WayneDavid Wayne Free Trial Member
    571 karma
    Absolutely can be learned.

Drackedary, your username is hilarious.
    239 karma
    Thanks! It's everyone's favourite game ;)
  • LeoFiro8LeoFiro8 Alum Member
    244 karma
    I know they used this drackedary in one of the games... what is drackedary?
  • rasaluja1rasaluja1 Alum Member
    57 karma
    Absolutely, but you need to put in time. You also need to be humble -- it's far too easy to grow overconfident and think your reasoning is rock solid, only to find out you were 100% wrong.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    Totally learnable
  • vandyzachvandyzach Free Trial Member
    358 karma
    To a large extent yea
    239 karma
    @LeoFiro8

Drackedary is an imaginary game by LSAT authors.
  • GraceloverGracelover Alum Member
    440 karma
    @original poster...With your scores, yeah and then some!
    36 karma
    Thanks, yall are encouraging. These damn logic games are just making me doubt my self. If I had 45 min I could probably get them all correct. 35 just seems so damn fast.
  • Allison MAllison M Alum Member Inactive Sage
    810 karma
    Believe me, you'll be able to improve in LG. Do the 7Sage curriculum, practice as much as you can, and eventually it'll become second nature. I hated logic games to begin with as well; thanks to 7Sage, it's become my absolute favourite section.
  • natashabanks1natashabanks1 Free Trial Member
    edited September 2014 55 karma
    So learnable. My diag was 138... RC was like only 10/27 and today I took my last PT before sept exam and I got 20/27 on RC. LG used to be like 12-14/23 and its a consistent 19-20/23, LR still needs work it ranges from -10 to -7. so I have been scoring in the upper 156-159 range. Things are really starting to click so I will prob have to retake but I know my score will improve beyond what I am doing now. I have been studying on and off for like a year. IT TAKES HARD WORK. I took a class and I had a private tutor once and honestly I made my strides through self study-- drilling, LSAT trainer, cambridge packets, TLS forum, 7sage forum and vids and Manhattan LR explanations.
  • amyrachelrobertsamyrachelroberts Alum Member
    19 karma
    Seamus, I was in the exact same position as you - pretty comfortable on RC and LR but couldn't even finish the LG section on time. Trust me: get the basic 7sage package, watch all his videos on logic and then watch his videos on Logic Games. Use his LG technique and I swear you'll be flying through that section like nobody's business. In a week and a half I went from being unable to finish, to nailing the whole section with at least five minutes to spare. It is SO learnable!
    36 karma
    @amyrachelroberts that is very encouraging. If I could nail the lg section I know I'd be at my target. I finish the other two sections with time to spare and I don't miss too many. Also saw you were in Sydney, I lived there four years and miss it heaps! Good luck on the test!