Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On the recommendation letter experience

dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
edited November 2016 in Law School Admissions 1644 karma
I‘m currently preparing for Feb LSAT and application materials. I need 2 letters( one from my advisor).

Do you think that I should require one from my current boss(I work as a part-time in an immigration firm) or ask one from my previous college professors?

Comments

• StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
    821 karma
    Academic ones are better. But try to get from all, can't hurt!
  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma
    thanks @stoplawying
  • nantesorkestarnantesorkestar Alum Member
    431 karma
    Ask Jurgen Klopp.

Just kidding, academic ones are best.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    If you are able to get 2 good academic ones by all means do that. I wouldn't worry about getting one from employers.
  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma
    @nantesorkestar I assumes that you are an EPL fan as well.

@montaha.rizeq Could you explain a little?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @dennisgerrard said:
    Do you think that I should require one from my current boss(I work as a part-time in an immigration firm) or ask one from my previous college professors?
    Law school admissions people prefer academic LOR over employment LOR because they speak more to your skills and achievements in an academic setting, which they feel are more accurate barometers of how you'll do in law school.
  • Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    645 karma
    College professors tend to be pretty good writers. That could make a difference in terms of the quality of the letter. So I'd try professors first while keeping your boss in mind as another option.
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7262 karma
    Great advice here. Academic letters are way more important than employer letters, because professors are better able to speak to the abilities you'll need to succeed in law school.

@StopLawying it's true that it can't hurt to ask for an extra letter, but beleive it or not, it can hurt to send an extra letter. Certain adcoms have been known to ding you for sending three.
  • nantesorkestarnantesorkestar Alum Member
    431 karma
    @dennisgerrard said:

Tottenham supporter since I was born! (I am from North London originally).
    11542 karma
    @dennisgerrard said:
    Could you explain a little?
    Looks like Mr. Busis answered that for me! :D
    it's true that it can't hurt to ask for an extra letter, but beleive it or not, it can hurt to send an extra letter. Certain adcoms have been known to ding you for sending three.
  • klaravalenciaklaravalencia Free Trial Member
    2 karma
    What if you've been out of school for a few years?
    11542 karma
    @klaravalencia said:
    What if you've been out of school for a few years?
    I think if it's been around 10 years of not being in school, work letters would hold value. But if it's only a few years you should try to seek at least 1 academic letter.
  • SimbatronSimbatron Member
    175 karma
    What is your journey through your employment speaks of your determination, willingness to do what needs to get done, hard work ethic, etc? I feel like my 'work experience' hasn't been a 'normal' one.
  • @david.busis Could you expand on why adcoms have dinged applicants for sending a third letter? I had planned on sending two academic letters and a work letter, so I'm just curious. Thanks!
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7262 karma
    @"Lauren L" honestly I don't know why, though I assume it's because they feel you're making them read something unnecessary. What I do know for sure is that it's happened, especially at Harvard.
  • Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    645 karma
    @"Lauren L" said:
    Could you expand on why adcoms have dinged applicants for sending a third letter? I had planned on sending two academic letters and a work letter, so I'm just curious. Thanks!
    In a similar vein: when I worked in investment banking, we usually dinged people who sent in two page resumes. Keeping in mind that I largely worked with terrible people, the reasons they gave were 1) didn't feel like reading second page 2) second page arrogantly implies that the candidate has too many accomplishments to fit on one page and 3) general lack of social awareness shown by not using the normal length
  • @david.busis @"Stevie C" That's good info. Since I have another 10 months or so before I start applying, I'll be sure to do some research about each school and what they prefer. Thanks!