Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

valid arguements and indicators ..how does this appy?

jjoushlynjjoushlyn Alum Member
edited November 2016 in General 198 karma
Hello 7Sagers,

I am in the process of completing the core curriculum and i had a question about the LR portion of the circular. I am memorizing universal indicators, valid arguments , invalid arguments, and some and more relationships. My question is how does this apply? I know that i need to know this so that i can understand all of the harder questions. However, should i be applying this knowledge to all questions on the LR portion of the LSAT? Am i supposed to read each stimulus looking for these things ? I am just trying to be sure how i should be putting this together.
For example :
1. step one - memorize everything JY is talking about ( indicators, sufficient & necessary structures)
2. Step two??

I feel this is a tedious way of reading a stimulus , but is this how you would do a close reading?? Just wondering how i should apply these things and how they come together.

Comments

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited November 2016 4141 karma
    Hi @jjoushlyn !
    Once you learn the rules of lawgic then you use your new knowledge to inform your prep as you move along in the core curriculum. It's great that the cc already has the lessons grouped for you and then reinforces your learning by adding in more complexities later on. Once you get through the lessons that are mainly focused on lawgic, you'll start applying what you've learned to LR questions. If you click on the syllabus https://7sage.com/progress/ you can see specifically where you are in the curriculum and where you have to go.

To answer your question on the application of the information you listed above, yes but you should expect to apply that information to all of the LSAT. For example, logical indicators come up in LG, so it would be helpful to learn and understand all of the lessons in the core curriculum and apply the information as you go. Obviously we won't be able to immediately remember a high volume of information and every rule of logic (unless you have a photographic memory then never mind carry on with the lessons and drills). If you do not have such a gift, then revisit the lessons from time to time and repeat quizzes (especially on those things J.Y. says we should memorize). Don't feel pressured to immediately be able to memorize every lesson that touches on the topics you mentioned and regurgitate it all the next day. You'll remember the information as you apply it and definitely revisit lessons on the basics to review. It's great that J.Y. also says during the later lessons what you should go back to, if you don't have a clear understanding of what is going on in the videos. An awesome thing about 7Sage is you can keep revisiting the lessons to reinforce your understanding. You'll see specifically how it (sufficiency/necessity, indicators, validity, intersections etc) all comes together the further along in the curriculum you get.
  • jjoushlynjjoushlyn Alum Member
    198 karma
    Thanks so much ! @nessa.k13.0
  • jjoushlynjjoushlyn Alum Member
    edited November 2016 198 karma
    I just noticed with all of tthe things I'm learning that I read logic reasoning differently. Like for example instead of just reading a stimulus try to to understand what they are saying I would think I should be looking for indicators, valid or invalid arguments , and conditional statements. Do you think this is correct ? Have you done this ? @nessa.k13.0
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @jjoushlyn You should be looking for those things, if they're there, while reading the stimulus because they make an impact on understanding the argument if you don't understand it intuitively. The things mentioned above are sort of secondary when you start answering the different types of LR questions because each type has a strategy to how you'll find the correct AC. Once you've determined the strategy you can then start eliminating AC due to an invalid argument or the wrong conditional, etc. Each question will not contain everything you've mentioned above but you should notice them and take them into consideration when selecting an AC.
  • nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited November 2016 4141 karma
    You are welcome @jjoushlyn Yeah it's not so much that you are hunting down all those things but that you read passages and stimuli and notice how an argument is or isn't valid or that you'll notice type of reasoning being used. It is good to look for the conclusions and premises using the indicators. Don't search for everything you've learned in a single stimulus while drilling because you'd be on one question for a long while. The more you practice the more intuitive it becomes.