Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking the December LSAT as a test run at the risk of decreasing my LSAT "average"

Hey all. First time poster here!

I am scheduled to take the December LSAT, but since I registered two months ago, I've decided to shoot for a higher score/better school and take it again in June 2017. I'm currently scoring a 160, BR-ing around 168, and my new goal is 170+. I think I can do this by June, but definitely not by December.

My worry is this: if I score a 160 in December and a 170 in June, will law schools heavily consider the first score and/or average the two? I'm looking at schools like Georgetown, Michigan, Chicago, Northwestern, and I want them to see my best score. On the other hand, experiencing test-day anxiety and getting a feel for the process this December before I do the real deal in June sounds beneficial.

Any Sage advice?

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Hi. Welcome :D the good news is the schools you've mentioned only look at the highest LSAT score you earned. But I would still strongly advise to only take the LSAT when you're confident in your performance. The idea of taking a test run, while a great idea, it can be done in the form of taking recent PTs under test day conditions. Don't waste your money by taking a test run when you can easily do that for free. Also there's some universities that offer mock LSATs so I would check that out before sitting in December!
  • breezer662breezer662 Alum Member
    18 karma
    @montaha.rizeq thanks! I will check out those mock LSATs. I should say though that I'm already registered and the deadline for the $50 refund was yesterday, so either way I've already paid for the December test. If my hopeful schools won't look at my lower score, am I then safe to take it next month as a test run?
  • dml277dml277 Alum Member
    775 karma
    True, you've already paid for the Dec test, but you're also wasting a valuable take that you may want to save for next year in case you want to take it multiple times when you're averaging where you want to be. Just want to put that out there because it's something you definitely want to consider as well.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @breezer662 said:
    If my hopeful schools won't look at my lower score, am I then safe to take it next month as a test run?
    Yes and no. I say that because maybe you'll need all 3 takes to achieve your target score. Bottom line: wasting a take on a "test run" has more cons than pros.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2016 23929 karma
    Don't EVER waste a take for a practice run. Go to a library or quiet coffee shop and take a timed exam. You'll likely score in the same range and save yourself a take. You truly never know if you're going to need all 3.

While most schools say they only consider the highest score, I have it on good authority that they do see and consider them all. Albeit they give the lower score much less weight; it doesn't mean it just doesn't count at all. However, as @montaha.rizeq mentions, the schools you are considering (NU, Chi, Mich) do not average LSATs. But still, having a 160 in Dec and 170 in June isn't going to do you any favors.

I love Montaha's idea about attending a mock LSAT! And remember, you can always use the 7Sage Proctor App and see how you do.

Lastly, I think the issue of test day nerves and anxiety is best dealt with after you are already scoring closer to your goal. Once you have the skills needed for a 170+, you may find your anxiety and nerves dissipate, at least a bit.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Lots of good advice here already, but just to reiterate: Don't waste a take. True, they'll only care about your high score, but wasting a take knowing you're not ready will be a very real detriment to your opportunity to achieve that high score. This thing is hard enough without adding unnecessary self-inflicted wounds.
  • Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    edited November 2016 645 karma
    If you're already aiming for next cycle, there's no reason to take December when unprepared. I'm only taking December to have a chance of avoiding being forced into the next cycle... that is what's driving my risk/reward calculations
  • breezer662breezer662 Alum Member
    18 karma
    Thank you guys! I'll withdraw from December. Should have posted this a day earlier to get that $50 back ha.
  • TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma
    DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT under any circumstances take this test not being fully prepared or as a "test run". I took this test as a "test run" in a way back in June, I HEAVILY regret it. I took in September and was prepared but didn't do as well as I had hoped, and now I have 1 retake left. Your takes are literally very very precious, do not waste them.