Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In need of a kick in the butt

desire2learndesire2learn Member
edited November 2016 in General 1171 karma
Greetings fellow 7sagers. I took the Sept. LSAT and did not score as I hoped so I am retaking in Dec. I am virtually out of virgin study material unless I go way back to PTs that do not have comparative passages (I really hope 79 comes out soon). I just tried taking PT 70 over again but I felt that I remembered too many of the questions even though it has been 3 months since I first took it. I finished every section well under the time constraints and missed only two questions. I feel like the real Dec. LSAT is going to be a huge kick in the teeth because I am out of practice on reacting to unseen questions. Should I do some older PTs (not sure how many of those I even have that are untouched) or does anyone have any other recommendations?
I am struggling with both direction for study and motivation (in part because I feel stuck and directionless).
Please help.
Thanks.

Comments

• desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    Just saw the thread that 79 is on Amazon. Ordered it. I love 7sage. Still would love advice though. It is only one PT.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2016 23929 karma
    @desire2learn said:
    Should I do some older PTs (not sure how many of those I even have that are untouched) or does anyone have any other recommendations?
    I am struggling with both direction for study and motivation (in part because I feel stuck and directionless).
    Hey Desire2learn,

Have you used up Prep Tests A, B, C, C2, Feb 97', June 07?

If not, I'd recommend using these. The LSAT hasn't changed so much over time that it would render the older tests useless.

As far as using tests you've already seen, you can try to give yourself only 25 or 30 minutes per section to offset the score increase you'd receive. Otherwise, you can still use these as useful practice, the only thing is you have to realize your score is inflated a bit from seeing it previously.

Regarding motivation; I think it is overrated. I don't ever rely on motivation to push me through doing things, but rather discipline. Motivation is a feeling that is always fleeting, whereas true discipline is actually achieved when one can make "motivation" a character trait. I know this isn't what you were looking for, but I think it is an important takeaway.

Try not to let yourself feel directionless or stuck. You've come a long way, and December is only a few weeks away. So you're really close to the finish line. Let the 3 weeks of prep left light a fire under your butt! You got this :)
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    @desire2learn could you please post the link to the amazon page for PT 79?
  • loosekanenloosekanen Alum Member
    138 karma
    I have found the question bank here pretty valuable when drilling LR especially since my mind doesn't recognize patterns as much when I use the material again in a different manner. Yes, I may recognize some of the ones I had difficulty with the first time but there is not a lot wrong with analyzing it again. Specifically, I have found that writing down the reason the answer I chose was wrong has helped me in future study. If you're not already doing that I would highly recommend it.
  • Q.E.DQ.E.D Alum Member
    556 karma
    Re: motivation

Here's a friendly kick in the butt. If you're rational and you're not motivated enough to work toward these things you call your goals, then they aren't really your goals. Either you're actually irrational or your true goals are closer to those ordinary distractions that apparently get in the way. I imagine most would prefer to avoid the dilemma of being irrational or truly seeking to blow 15 hrs/wk on video games, TV shows or whatever your thing is.

No one wants to look stupid bc of a low LSAT score. I'm sure that matters more to you. When you could be working on that, and you're not, remember to ask whether it's worth an embarrassing score.

I don't mean that maliciously. That's my own self-talk, actually. I wish you the very best luck.
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    Thanks @"Alex Divine" . I really like your shift in perspective.
    Thank you @loosekanen . I should drill some NA, SA, and strengthen/weaken from the Question Bank.
    Thank you @Q.E.D. . I take none of your comments poorly. I'm the one who asked for a kick in the butt because I am in need. I appreciate your insight on goals/distractions.
    Who wants to dominate some LSAT?
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    @desire2learn thanks for the link.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    I like James Clear’s stuff (jamesclear.com). He focuses on systems rather than goals.