Rewrite the questions with initialisms as in JY's explanations -- really!?

steve-10steve-10 Alum Member
in Logic Games 192 karma
I agree it's easier to see the questions with game elements as initials rather than as the (often bizarre) spelled-out names that appear on the test. But as time is my big hurdle, I'm skeptical that the time it takes to rewrite the questions is worth it. As best I can tell by introspection it takes me little time to do the mental translation. Does anyone want to make an argument that I ought to rewrite the questions?

Comments

• wildernesswilderness Alum Member
    133 karma
    JY writes out translations for LR sections (Government Economics as GE) merely to translate to logic (or lawgic for us 7sagers) to show you the type of thinking you need to be doing to solve questions. Once you become adept at this, you don't need to do it all on paper... obviously.

The only time where it'd be useful is if you're digging through a tough stimulus with a lot of wording and you want to decipher exactly the lawgic being used (say for an SA or PSA question). Or, when you're practicing LR, simply to re-inforce the logic in your head for test day.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2016 23929 karma
    @"steve-10" said:
    Does anyone want to make an argument that I ought to rewrite the questions?
    Haha! Do you just want everyone to make arguments for you based on anything your skeptical about, lol?

Just busting your chop :)

@wilderness nailed it. JY only diagrams the LR questions to represent the "lawgic" behind the answers; I don't think it is recommended you diagram it out when you're taking an actual PT. Sometimes during BR I might for confusing or challenging MBT or S.A type questions, but overall its rare. On the other hand, if you are just learning the basics of conditional logic and inference questions, it might prove helpful to do so for the problem sets.
  • steve-10steve-10 Alum Member
    192 karma
    I think my mention of "game elements" and that this is in the Logic Games category might have been overlooked.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2016 23929 karma
    @"steve-10" said:
    I think my mention of "game elements" and that this is in the Logic Games category might have been overlooked.
    I'm not really sure exactly what you are asking? So when you do games, you are wondering why use the initialisms as opposed writing them out at all?

I mean there is no argument aside from the fact that most people can't keep all the elements straight in their head. And writing things down makes things easier and mitigates the risk of making careless / avoidable mistakes. Also, if you later find out you've made an error, having it written out in front of you makes a big difference. Hell, without writing it out, you might no realize you've made a mistake in the first place, haha.

In short, the 5-10 seconds per question it takes to write down the elements is well worth it.
    133 karma
    @"steve-10"

Also, when doing LG games sometimes you have to cross off certain game pieces. Let's say you have a game with pieces A,B,C,D,E,F. And on a particular question, you know that F & E are grouped together, B and one other are grouped, etc. etc.

Keeping a mental track in your head of: Okay, I know B is grouped with one other, F&E are already grouped so I don't need to group them, these others are floating... allows more room for error than taking the 5 seconds to write them down and cross out so you never make a silly mistake.
  • steve-10steve-10 Alum Member
    edited November 2016 192 karma
    I think I didn't make my question clear. I am talking about JY's transcription of the game questions themselves, not about diagramming. For example, if the question stem is "Which one of the following could be a list of axe murderers who could be denied bail?" and the first answer choice is "(A) Penelope, Christopholos, Murgatroyd" then JY will show five lines on the upper right of the video frame beginning with "(A) P,C,M".

I think I recall hearing him say once that it was a good idea to transcribe the questions like that while taking the tests, rather than something done only for the sake of the videos.
    edited November 2016 133 karma
    Oh! Lol. No, J.Y. just transcribes those out because he doesn't want to rewrite the entire question. They're meant to substitute for the actual question so as to not take up space on the video.

You're not meant to transcribe the questions as he does. That's just so that he can give you the question and each answer without wasting valuable visual space on the lesson video with the full question. On the test, you'll have the question in front of you so yeah... you don't have to do it

I don't recall JY saying that either.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27820 karma
    Yeah, you definitely don't want to be translating answer choices under time. JY is only doing that to make the videos as concise as possible. That's not meant to be something you should do on the actual test.