Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those who got 168 on the real thing, what was your PT average?

lsnnnnn0011lsnnnnn0011 Alum Member
in General 227 karma
Hi,

I am writing in December and my goal is to get 167/8. For people who got 167/8 on the test day, what was your average score like? :)

Comments

• jphorton2jphorton2 Free Trial Member
    31 karma
    I got a 171 but my average score on my PT's was a 167. I had a good day though so you can't really count on the spread you normally have. I went into the test always predicting I would score three less than my average. I wasn't going to be happy with a 164 but I figured I could squeeze a 165.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    edited November 2016 27809 karma
    @jphorton2 said:
    I had a good day though so you can't really count on the spread you normally have.
    Just to demonstrate the other side of this phenomenon, I scored a 170 with a PT average of 175. It happens. Ideally, you'll be prepared to a level at which you hit your target score on an off day. 170 was my original target score, so even though I was a little disappointed, it's a good thing I prepared to where I did if I was going to underperform on test day.
  • Wind-Up BirdWind-Up Bird Alum Member
    284 karma
    Scored a 170 on test day with an average PT score (10 most recent tests or so) of 167. J.Y. usually mentions that you'll score +/-3 of your 5 most recent tests, although I think most people end up on the minus side.
  • lsnnnnn0011lsnnnnn0011 Alum Member
    227 karma
    @jphorton2 @"Wind-Up Bird" That's great!!! I just took my 1st PT in 70s (71) and got 170...I never hit 170 in 60s. I think the generous curve for 71 (-14) probably accounts for but I am sure I should aim for at least -10 for every PT if I want to get 170+ in the real thing. Do you mind if I ask you what your best PT score in 70s before your test day?
  • Wind-Up BirdWind-Up Bird Alum Member
    284 karma
    @lsnnnnn0011 I scored a bunch of 169s in the 60s and 70s, but my highest PT score was actually the same as what I got on the real thing (a single 170 on PT77, which I wrote ~a week before my test). My situation (i.e. scoring 3 above my PT average) is definitely abnormal though... I'd probably attribute my success to having written high-stress standardized tests before, like the 8 hour MCAT.

-10 is also a reasonable benchmark for consistently scoring 170s. PT79 (my test) also had a pretty generous curve at -12.
  • loosekanenloosekanen Alum Member
    138 karma
    Personally I am focusing on a combined score for the 2 LR sections and another for the LG/RC. For a 168 I would want to be scoring no more than 7 mistakes on each subgroup. I'm aiming 170 and that goal is more along the lines of minus 5 on each subgroup. There is always a possibility of scoring higher. If it's your first attempt I don't think a PT average of 165/166 is insufficient to try. Though, as others have stated, a 170 average will give you a much safer barrier. Just realize that the point scoring at that point depends on 1 or 2 questions so the variance in range is going to be greater than if you were in the high 150s aiming for a 158.