Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Already Considering the Dec LSAT

apharry7apharry7 Free Trial Member
edited September 2014 in September 2014 LSAT 12 karma
I'm so nervous, I suffer from a wandering mind, and I got a 150 on my last prep test, I mistakenly bought a book with the most recent test in it from 2000. I've been studying since April and I just need more time. My only question is, if I take it twice, will schools average my score, or will they take the higher score? Is anyone else considering December already? I'm not being pessimistic, I'm just trying to be realisitic.

Comments

• DMo-UTexasDMo-UTexas Alum Member
    25 karma
    I am taking the Dec LSAT and I have taken the LSAT already. I am almost certain they take the highest score (you can find information regarding this on LSAT blogs). That being said, I would not let my confidence be diminished from a single low score. Even if you take another PT and you score within that same range, I still believe you can be ready in time for the December LSAT (this thought is based on the assumption that you would like to be in the 160-165 range). Focus on drilling your weaknesses and keep pushing. Best of luck.
  • pritisharmapritisharma Alum Member
    edited September 2014 477 karma
    I am thinking of Dec too .. feel really bad though since I already postponed June. But I am not where I would like to be and I think it is within my reach. However I was wondering if it helps to take the test anyways just to get the "test jitters" out of your system. So the second time you go it's like "been there done that" .. Does that reduce the inherent anxiety ? I am sure the answer is not the same for everyone but like to hear form others on this.
  • apharry7apharry7 Free Trial Member
    12 karma
    Thank you for the kind words, I really would like a 170(seriously a 180, wouldn't that be nice :-) ), my law school dreams didn't start again until the latter part of my college career (after all of my partying reflected in my GPA) so my LSAT score means A LOT to me. I appreciate the support, I wish you the best as well!
  • apharry7apharry7 Free Trial Member
    12 karma
    Pritisharma I feel the same exact way! I'm not ready but, I just need to get the jitters out of the way, I feel as though it'd be VERY helpful, so you know what to expect.
    apharry7, thanks for your response. So how do we weigh the benefits of "getting the jitters out of the way" against the "REAL" possibility of NOT getting our "full potential" score ? In other words what are the downsides of a low score before a high one. Hypothetically lest say I get a 160 now and a 170 in Dec vs a 166 in the first attempt in Dec. This is purely a conjecture. I am assuming lack of jitters will improve my score somewhat. Any thoughts ? I know you have already taken the test so this is something you are probably not thinking about.
    I have almost always read on this forum "do not attempt if you do not feel ready" . But I have also read they take the "best score" into consideration attempts not withstanding. I am trying to do a cost:benefit analysis.
    To put the question simply a gain of how many points in the final Dec score would justify taking a practice Sept test ?
  • Dillon PGDillon PG Alum Member
    140 karma
    If you don't feel you are ready, don't take the test.
  • LeoFiro8LeoFiro8 Alum Member
    244 karma
    the date to push back your test from september to dec was september 8. (passed) all scores for almost all law schools get averaged, so take your best shot the first time and if your not ready take it in december ( sorry no info on what 3 days before the exam you can do to change your test date ).
    LeoFiro8 Thanks for your inputs. I think I need to pay $70 I will confirm after I am done :-( I have really underestimated the effort it would take me to get through with the prep.
  • mjjohns6mjjohns6 Member
    418 karma
    @pritisharma the date to change your test date has past (Sept. 8th) I believe you will have to register for it and pay the full amount to take the Dec. LSAT
    Yes Sept 9th was the deadline I will now need to withdraw :-(
    So at this point it is no different than I take the test, and say do not report score or some such ?
  • TwanDittyTwanDitty Alum Member
    4 karma
    If you think you can improve your score by three or more points I would say withdraw from the September and schedule for December. Consider taking a free proctored practice test (Kaplan is offering some one this weekend). I just went through this same scenario and have decided to push mine back. If I had found 7sage a few months ago I may be in a different boat but this seems to be the right decision based on lots of research and careful contemplation. Consider the financial rewards/ scholarship opportunities that become available when your score jumps. And the jitters can be taken care of by simply taking a proctored test between now and December.
    477 karma
    Thanks a bunch TwanDiesel for the idea of free proctored tests. I will be looking into it.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    I'm taking it in Dec... a death in the family occurred yesterday and I am not in any condition to take it.
  • godawgs24godawgs24 Alum Member
    53 karma
    I would push it back. Definitely take it when you are fully confident of your abilities. You do lose the money since the refund and change test date deadline passed, so you would just have to pay another $170 to register for December. I've taken the test two times already, December will be my third. Most law schools do NOT average LSAT scores. You can find further information on their respective websites. The reason why schools tend to NOT average LSAT scores is because the US News ranking only require schools to submit the highest score of each applicant they enroll so thats all the schools really care about. If an individual scores a 155 and a 168, it wouldn't make sense for the school to submit the 155 because it would bring down the overall average LSAT score of the applicants they enroll.
    477 karma
    Thanks, I guess I have no option but to withdraw . Now only if I had planned better... Oh well !!!
    I find it telling that all agree on postponing until one feels ready irrespective of whether the schools do/donot take averages. Also no one sees value in just going ahead and taking the test and canceling the scores at the end of it. Is there a downside to it or is it more like "Why even bother" ?
    477 karma
    So I just withdrew :-( and registered for a free proctored practice LSAT. Need to reset the clock now. Thanks all for all the help/responses. It helps to know I am not the only one.
  • godawgs24godawgs24 Alum Member
    53 karma
    You made the right choice. Good luck studying. I withdrew from Sept as well a while back, but it's always the right move to sit for the test when you are 100% confident and when you have been PTing around or above the goal you sent for yourself. It does suck to have to restart, but having done it twice already, and even committing to taking a year off solely to study for the test, I just want to remind you to not give up and to keep pushing through. If it helps, even think of this as a job where you are getting paid $100/hour to study, because you will be getting thousands of dollars more in scholarship money by scoring a couple points higher. For example, the nine point difference between my first two scores got me from a WL to a $40,000/year scholarship at one school.