Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I found this guy so inspiring, hope we all get 170+

Ann MarieAnn Marie Alum Member
in General 72 karma
A long, strange LSAT journey Top-Law-Schools.com
Postby fredfred » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:21 pm

This is my experience with the LSAT and it should be read by anyone who is looking for LSAT motivation.

In college, I started thinking about the LSAT and law school. I went to a free kaplan session where there is a proctor (tutor) and he gives a full exam. I had not prepared at all and left with a 143. My head was spinning and I went to talk to an advisor of mine. He said if someone wants to go to law school, they should have started studying in high school. That was his serious advice. It takes 3-4 years to master the LSAT at a minimum (he went to HYS law and Princeton PHD so the dude is extremely smart himself). That did not help my confidence.

Fast forward a year. Just graduated college, I was headed to graduate school. It is June 1st, 2014. It was the first time I seriously tried to study, aiming for the September exam. I was doing okay, never really breaking 160. Games was my worst section, going -15/-20 at a time. Having access to some family support, I reached out to a tutor to teach me games. Worth every penny and started going -10, then -5, then -1. Progress! Unfortunately reasoning wasn't progressing as I would have liked, but I was getting tutored on Skype as my graduate school was far away. I was doing what my tutor told me all the way up through the September exam and was pting mid 160s. Eventually September came and I received a high 150's score. I was devastated. 4 months of work, lots of money, and still not even breaking 160. I was distraught, a failure, a waste. This was all in the mist of graduate school and it was just awful.

I take a month off of studying and decided to try again in December. I dumped my tutor (but LG was a massive improvement getting to -0) and decided instead of trying to learn everything just focus on LR. I had games down and just needed LR help. I buckled down for a few months and studied hard. December came, did great on games and not as great on LR, but a significant improvement. I had been pting from 164-174 on any given test. Come December, I went -6 on RC. Received a mid 160s score. Was devastated again, how could I possibly get into a t14? My dreams were over.

I applied everywhere and had a good cycle. Got serious scholarship money from top 20 schools and wl at a few t14. I decided on one top 20 with a nice scholarship and my parents were proud, I was proud, it actually was all okay. But something was bugging me, it was the LSAT. I felt like twice it had won, twice it beat me yet I wanted to try again. My parents said no, why even go through this again?

So I signed up for June. I threw out everything I knew about the LSAT and started at PT 1. I took EVERY SINGLE LSAT from 1-76 (or whatever it is) and then redid 60-76 again. I wasn't trying to beat the test or learn the test, rather I was just going through it systematically. If I got a RC question wrong, I spent 15 minutes breaking down every answer choice and trying to figure out where I went wrong and which one is more right. I did this for 4 months, on top of grad school.

It now brings me to this moment. I received a mid 170s score in the 99th percentile in June. Within 12 hours of the score, I had received a call from a t14 I was rejected from offering me unsolicited admission along with 2 others just outside the t14. It looks like I will be sitting out a year and reapplying.

What this is all about ultimately is I had around a 30 point increase from first pt to June 2015. It was a full year of studying with small breaks in between. You don't need a tutor. What he taught me I found the same on youtube for free. What matters is you determination to really work at it. Actually take every single PT ever given over and over. By my actual count, I have taken over 150 full pts this past year (obviously repeating each one at some point). My professor was wrong, you don't need 4 years of study. You need 1 and the determination to do it.

tl;dr I started from the bottom (143) and now I am here (mid 170s). Good luck, you can do it.

Comments

• LSATakerLSATaker Free Trial Member
    edited November 2016 250 karma
    This is really encouraging, thank you for sharing!
    But at the same time this also reminded me of Coco (who got 177 after only months of studying and 6 hours of studying everyday)...so I guess it really depends on individual.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @LSATaker said:
    This is really encouraging, thank you for sharing!
    But at the same time this also reminded me of Coco (who got 177 after only months of studying and 6 hours of studying everyday)...so I guess it really depends on individual.
    My takeaway isn't the amount of time OP took to prep, but rather just a motivating story. Coco didn't start with a 143 diagnostic or make a 30 point jump. I think her diagnostic was a 160 or something high like that. People with 80%tile+ diagnostics are rare.

You're absolutely right though, it does depend entirely on the individual! :)
  • LSATakerLSATaker Free Trial Member
    250 karma
    @"Alex Divine"
    I see. So maybe she is the exception then?
    30 points increase is huge and I can imagine s/he devoted a lot of effort for that.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @LSATaker said:
    I see. So maybe she is the exception then?
    Haha, basically.
  • westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma
    Haha I have seen this post before and I always found it motivation. I made around 20 point increase since my diagnostics and still hungry to get more points so I can get into the 170s
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @westcoastbestcoast said:
    Haha I have seen this post before and I always found it motivation. I made around 20 point increase since my diagnostics and still hungry to get more points so I can get into the 170s
    That's awesome man. Keep going! Congrats as well on your already amazing increase.
  • westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma
    Thanks brother! @"Alex Divine" its been a long journey, about 2 years! I know you are willing to work the long haul and I hope you stick by it!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Thanks brother! @"Alex Divine" its been a long journey, about 2 years! I know you are willing to work the long haul and I hope you stick by it!
    Thanks dude! You know it man. I'm in this to win this (aka 170+)
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Thank you for sharing :) we can always use a dose of motivation
    11542 karma
    I made around 20 point increase since my diagnostics and still hungry to get more points so I can get into the 170s
    That's the spirit!
    11542 karma
    @LSATaker said:
    so I guess it really depends on individual.
    It certainly does. But it also depends on the individual's circumstances. Coco I believe took off from work and just focused on the LSAT, some people cannot afford to do so and that's ok! the point isn't how long a person takes, it's about being able to achieve a high score despite being told otherwise due to a poor diagnostic. Browse around this forum, we talk heavily on being able to improve from a poor diagnostic and people even have the scores to prove it! :D