Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are the new logic games harder?

Alexander-2Alexander-2 Alum Member
My LG scores were already so-so on the earlier tests (-6-7 per section), and dropped like a sack of bricks when I started doing preptests in the 70s (so far have done 70 and 71, 72 slated for tomorrow). I'm taking the December LSAT and it's pretty clear that the logic games are make or break for me. Thoughts for the next two weeks?

Comments

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma
    how do you prepare on LG? Did you finish by type first?
  • Alexander-2Alexander-2 Alum Member
    60 karma
    I have done JY's Fool Proof Method, which has been helpful. I have mostly done them by type. E.g. print off a bunch of different in-out games, make 4 double sided copies, do them all over a couple of days. More recently started doing entire timed sections bc i was freezing up during the preptests. it just hasn't "clicked" for me and I'd really like to get into the -0 or -1 range
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2016 23929 karma
    @"Alexander-2" said:
    I have done JY's Fool Proof Method, which has been helpful. I have mostly done them by type. E.g. print off a bunch of different in-out games, make 4 double sided copies, do them all over a couple of days. More recently started doing entire timed sections bc i was freezing up during the preptests. it just hasn't "clicked" for me and I'd really like to get into the -0 or -1 range
    It takes some time, but if you just go through the games using the fool proof method you'll get there.

However, I'm doubtful that you'll be able to go from -6 or -7 in the span of 2 weeks until the December test. Have you considered postponing and making sure you have LG down before sitting for the test?
    60 karma
    I've considered it, but since I'm not working full time right now and anticipate that I will be almost immediately after the December test, I've been going on the thought that there was no better time for me to prep. As it stands I can put 30-40 hours a week into LSAT practicing, which is a luxury I won't have forever. Under what conditions would I want to back out and postpone?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Alexander-2" said:
    Under what conditions would I want to back out and postpone?
    I hear ya. I think a sufficient condition to postpone is when you are not 100% ready to score your goal. I think even after 80+hours of prep over these next 2 weeks, you will still have considerable room for improvement. A high LSAT score is so important and a point or two can the difference between millions of dollars in opportunities over the span of a legal career. Even if it means sitting out a cycle and prepping for sometime next year, there is really no question that it's worth it.

I work full-time myself and prepping while working long hours sucks, however, it is doable if you have the discipline.
    60 karma
    I appreciate that and will take it under advisement. Can always see what happens over the next two weeks and withdraw if needed. If LG just clicks for me, then I'll be at/above my goal. Steering back to the original question a little bit, do you change up your approach to the newer logic games? It seems like fewer of them have a major inference, and the rules don't chain up as nicely/frequently
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma
    On your original question: it might not be the most popular opinion but I don't actually think the newer games are harder than the older games as a set, roughly speaking. There are some sets in the 20s and 30s that are ridiculously hard. It might be anecdotal but I feel like the newer sets are hard because of a single game. I have had the experience on the newer sets of actually rereading questions on the first one or two games because the answers are so obvious. Almost too obvious. I look at it like this:
    PT C
    PT 27
    PT 36
    PT A
    PT 35 is ridiculously hard.

All of those sets as a whole are harder than:
    PT 72
    PT 75
    PT 77

I think on the newer exams PT 68 stands out as something that is incredibly difficult.
    8689 karma
    I'll tell you what. Something to consider: test yourself today with a timed section. Pretest C LG. If you can finish this section in 34 minutes with a -0 or a -1, then I can reasonably say that you are ready for just about anything the exam will throw your way in 2 weeks. If you are -9/-10+ on this: I implore you to sit out the December exam.

Knowing what this section will gauge will probably cause you to be a bit nervous. That's good, we will all be a bit nervous when we sit for the real thing! Let me know how it worked out!
    8689 karma
    *I should state that pretest C has worked in this manner for me personally*

I have returned to this section several times to gauge my progress.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Yeah, I think the new games are harder for most people. However, the basics/logic do truly remain the same. I think the secret with the new games is just to not freeze or be dogmatic with your approach. Just get started diagramming something.

Otherwise, @BinghamtonDave covered it better than anyone can!
    8689 karma
    I did the LG for PT 68 today, a truly difficult section.
  • loosekanenloosekanen Alum Member
    138 karma
    In my opinion, no. The games recently have been, for the most part, capable of being done by rote diagram. There is, on occasion, one on a section that requires more than a minute of extra thought on setup, but after that it's easy just like the rest. Be mindful that if you go into the test with an average of even -4 on LG you are going to be giving up a ton of questions in the curve to others who are consistently -1. LG is the easiest for many people to comprehend with practice and a lot of takers get very proficient. If your goal is 165+ you really shouldn't be sitting for the exam unless your LG score is at least -3 or better consistently. You just give up too much equity.
  • AshleighKAshleighK Alum Member
    786 karma

Late but to me I find the newer games easier than the older ones. The misc games kill me and if anything, I'll notice the newer tests will have a combination of grouping or sequencing games within the sub-categories (in/out, seq w/ a twist, hybrid etc). With one easy, two medium, and then one really hard game. I prefer this over 3 easy/medium games with one misc game though...