PT79.S1.Q07 - journalist: the new mayor

LSATakerLSATaker Free Trial Member
edited November 2016 in Logical Reasoning 250 karma
What is the first sentence?
I thought this is the conclusion because it says "undeniably"...
and all the rest are premise :(

Comments

• 308 karma
    The first sentence is more like context and the conclusion is the last part.
  • LSATakerLSATaker Free Trial Member
    250 karma
    @"Artak Mamikonyan"

So context can include "undeniably"?
    Is this objective observation?
  • 308 karma
    Well during my timed take, I just kind of caught that the last part was the conclusion due to in large part because of the negation test on answer choice A. When i negated A, the entire argument fell apart. But then later on during the BR session, a lot of people had trouble picking between A and C because they too had thought that undeniably bold was the conclusion. JY explained that the conclusion was the last part of the stimulus so i ended up getting it right just kind of based off instinct rather than a definitive way because of the time limit. It's kind of hard to say that making assertions with utter certainty and confidence means you're bold.

I'm not sure if I'm even making sense at this point because I wrote a lot but if you negate C. (people who are bold make public assertions with utter certainty and confidence.), the argument is not necessarily ruined because the stimulus does not say the the new mayor is bold BECAUSE he makes assertions with utter certainty and confidence.

I hope i made sense haha. That's just how i ended up getting it correct.
    250 karma
    @"Artak Mamikonyan"
    Thanks for your reply,
    Did JY explain why the first sentence is not conclusion?
  • needmylsat180needmylsat180 Alum Member
    175 karma
    JY said when you see however, although, in spite of , while etc.. like those words, you should anticipate a conclusion, so the conclusion is the last sentence.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Yeah, you've got to be really careful in using keywords to identify the conclusion. The first sentence is not the conclusion here simply because it is not a statement that the rest of the text is intended to support. Similarly, the the last sentence is not the conclusion because of an indicator: It is the conclusion because that is its function within the structure of the argument. I wouldn't even be married to a sentence that began with "In conclusion." Suspicious? Yes. But the presence of an indicator word is not what makes a statement the conclusion. The support of the argument does.
    250 karma
    thank you both,

@"Cant Get Right"
    Do you think the first sentence and second sentence are equal? So the second one is actually paraphrase of the first? (or maybe explain in detail?)
  • SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
    1278 karma
    I could be really off on this but here's my $.02:

The second sentence supports the first sentence. The part before the comma in the last sentence is supported by the second sentence. The part after the comma is the conclusion.

Also, the part after the comma i.e. the conclusion is supported by the rest of the sentences.